I have this big piece of wood that I found, but the biggest pot I own isn't big enough to boil it. How do I "disinfect" it? (not sure how to word that)
I had this question too, my piece of wood was big so we used bleach. Only problem is that there were some things (baby shrimp??) living in it so I had to pressure wash it after. Might try the boiling idea before putting it in the tank just to be safe.I actually found a nice piece of driftwood near Georgian Bay in Ontario. Because it was irregularly shaped, I couldn't boil it. So I just heated up a kettle of boiling water and just poured it on the driftwood. Then I took a clean brush and scrubbed. Then I poured more boiling water. That was pretty much what I did. Never had an issue with brown water or dead livestock. The only downside is it did take many months for the driftwood to be waterlogged enough to stay sunk in the tank.
Not sure if I've "disinfected" correctly, but that's what worked for me.
Put together a mixture of 10 parts water to every 1 part bleach and soak it in that.May I ask how to safely bleach wood to make it safe? Was there a specific procedure you followed - did you soak it in bleach (that's a lot!), or just pour bleach over it and rinse??