How do I "Disinfect" Big Pieces of Wood?

AquaticQueen

I have this big piece of wood that I found, but the biggest pot I own isn't big enough to boil it. How do I "disinfect" it? (not sure how to word that)

Nickguy5467

i was actually wondering this myself today as i want to put some driftwood trees in my tank. i might even try a slow cooker full of water if the pieces i get fit personally. Mostly a bump because i want to know too maybe if you know a buddy with a large deep fryer but only use water? i dunno lol

Upvote 0

FitSoldier

I actually found a nice piece of driftwood near Georgian Bay in Ontario. Because it was irregularly shaped, I couldn't boil it. So I just heated up a kettle of boiling water and just poured it on the driftwood. Then I took a clean brush and scrubbed. Then I poured more boiling water. That was pretty much what I did. Never had an issue with brown water or dead livestock. The only downside is it did take many months for the driftwood to be waterlogged enough to stay sunk in the tank.

Not sure if I've "disinfected" correctly, but that's what worked for me.

Upvote 0

Angelfish1

I actually found a nice piece of driftwood near Georgian Bay in Ontario. Because it was irregularly shaped, I couldn't boil it. So I just heated up a kettle of boiling water and just poured it on the driftwood. Then I took a clean brush and scrubbed. Then I poured more boiling water. That was pretty much what I did. Never had an issue with brown water or dead livestock. The only downside is it did take many months for the driftwood to be waterlogged enough to stay sunk in the tank.

Not sure if I've "disinfected" correctly, but that's what worked for me.
I had this question too, my piece of wood was big so we used bleach. Only problem is that there were some things (baby shrimp??) living in it so I had to pressure wash it after. Might try the boiling idea before putting it in the tank just to be safe.

Upvote 0

Desi

Hot boiling water will kill almost everything. I always boil my driftwood then I let it sit out in the sun for a while until it’s nice and dry. Like stated above, I also use a scrub brush to get any nasty debris off of it.

Upvote 0

Trenzalore

I had this question too, my piece of wood was big so we used bleach.
May I ask how to safely bleach wood to make it safe? Was there a specific procedure you followed - did you soak it in bleach (that's a lot!), or just pour bleach over it and rinse??

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

May I ask how to safely bleach wood to make it safe? Was there a specific procedure you followed - did you soak it in bleach (that's a lot!), or just pour bleach over it and rinse??
Put together a mixture of 10 parts water to every 1 part bleach and soak it in that.
Give it a really good rinse afterwards.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I do the same thing for oversized driftwood or stones. I just employ the tea kettle method. I typically overkill with iterations. For my last group of rocks, I probably doused them with about 6 kettle-fulls of hot water.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
idkausernamesoyeah
Replies
Views
Myles26
Replies
Views
jonatheber
  • Question