How do I create my own reusable sponge filter cartridge?

FishGuy27

I have to pay $3/cartridge which is costly and I know a sponge is easy to clean and re use so do i just buy a sponge sheet and cut it so it fits the cartridge size? i have a small hob filter.

HupGupp

If you have a hang on back filter designed for cartridges, getting a sponge that fits on the intake is a good way to go. Then you can put floss and/or ceramic rings inside. The only thing you'd need to replace is the piece of floss, and a $20 roll will last you years.

DoubleDutch

I have to pay $3/cartridge which is costly and I know a sponge is easy to clean and re use so do i just buy a sponge sheet and cut it so it fits the cartridge size? i have a small hob filter.
You can use the sponge in it by rinsing it again and again. When it falls apart get a new one the way you're describing.

RayClem

I have used filter pads to replace cartridges. They are more effective than the cartridges and can usually be rinsed several times before they start to become floppy.
I normally use the Acurel debris reducing pads.

https://www.amazon.com/Acurel-LLC-Reducing-Aquarium-Accessory/dp/B004MNNAC6/

However, as you will note, they also offer treated pads for reduction of phosphates, nitrates, and carbon embedded pads to remove organics. You may occasionally find them useful.

Be sure to save one of your original cartridges to you can cut the pads to exact size, including any slots or notches that might be required to fit properly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Arvil
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views