40 Gallon Tank How do I cool down my tank?

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello

I am currently cycling a new 40 gallon tank. I have been running everything like it will be with fish when I get them. It is still relatively cool in my place right now but summer is coming and I don't really have or use AC. I have noticed that the temperature in my tank is getting up near 80 already. I have an internal water pump (submersible) pumping out about 326 gph. Tank is covered. It is a hexagonal tank (got it for 20 bucks at a thrift store) I do have two other tanks here that are rectangular and have more surface area but I just got them and need to check for leaks etc. I may use them instead but want at least to get the water all cycled first.

I can not afford a manufactured chiller. Any ideas on cooling my tank consistently and reliably? I plan on getting a couple of goldfish so keeping the temp lower is important.

thanks for your time

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
can you cover with a screen of some sort, and then point a fan so it hits the top of the water?

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BTW I kept fish back in the early 90s. I am relatively new to keeping fish with internet access etc. I didn't know what I was doing back then so I am not really all that experienced.

Hi meenu

I could do something like that but the thing is I want to keep the CO2 from escaping my tank and have read that I need a cover for that. I do have a fan blowing on the glass but maybe I could move it to blow on the water flowing out into the tank?

Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fishlore, sorry for my rudeness in my first post.

that sounds good - I think people also do cool packs or ice packs put into the tank during the hottest part of the day.

But I would think that as long as it cools down overnight, that the 80 degrees would be okay.... they can handle a wide variety of temps fluctuating throughout the day.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
can you cover with a screen of some sort, and then point a fan so it hits the top of the water?
How rude!

Here's my 2 cents. The internal filter could be heating the water. Perhaps moving the motor outside of the tank will bring it down a degree or two. Also, I wouldn't have the lights on during the day.

I am coming up with ways to cool down my 90. Here's my plan. Since I have canister filters, I'm going to get buckets and put the filters in the buckets. The buckets will have styrofoam liners for insulation. The buckets will be filled with water and I'm going to put ice packs in the buckets. Since the canisters are plastic, the heat from the water in the filter will be drawn into the water in the bucket, thus cooling the tank.

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu

I didn't think you were being rude at all! The 80 degrees is okay now in the early spring but as the weather heats up it's going to spike big time.

Jaysee, I was thinking that too. The internal water pump was heating it up. I did make a diy canister filter and it was working great for about a week. Then it started to leak and nothing I did could fix it. I got another container now and I will try again with that. All my sealants etc worked great it was the cap that sprung the leak on the other one. Interesting idea about the buckets and ice. I wonder if there's a way to set it up in a small refrigerator so you don't have to keep pouring in ice?? I have started to turn the lights off now too. Good suggestions. I am going to work on making a better canister filter after I change the pads on my car brakes..... So much to do so little time.... Ugh

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu

I didn't think you were being rude at all! The 80 degrees is okay now in the early spring but as the weather heats up it's going to spike big time.

Jaysee, I was thinking that too. The internal water pump was heating it up. I did make a diy canister filter and it was working great for about a week. Then it started to leak and nothing I did could fix it. I got another container now and I will try again with that. All my sealants etc worked great it was the cap that sprung the leak on the other one. Interesting idea about the buckets and ice. I wonder if there's a way to set it up in a small refrigerator so you don't have to keep pouring in ice?? I have started to turn the lights off now too. Good suggestions. I am going to work on making a better canister filter after I change the pads on my car brakes..... So much to do so little time.... Ugh
How about one of those mini keg coolers?

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about one of those mini keg coolers?

We think alike!! Hmmmm..... I think I may try that when I get a little more time...

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Covering the tank & using a fan is going to be the easiest & most effective thing you can do. It won't effect your co2 levels unless the fan is blowing hard enough to create whitecaps!! I use fans on my co2 enriched tanks all the time & suffer from no co2 loss at all. The next most effective thing you can do is split your light cycle in half. Have the lights on for a few hours in the morning, then off during the hottest part of the day & then back on again later in the afternoon. Here's my light cycle: 8am on, noon off, 5pm on, 9pm off. That's 8hrs light each day. You can do longer on periods if you want to. It doesn't effect plant growth at all, it helps inhibit algae growth, it reduces heat during the middle of the day & it has the lights on for longer during times you will be at home rather than work. It's win win.

I've seen diy coolers made from both keg coolers & from those water dispenser/cooler units. The dispenser units seem to work best. Cheaper to I think.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am coming up with ways to cool down my 90. Here's my plan. Since I have canister filters, I'm going to get buckets and put the filters in the buckets. The buckets will have styrofoam liners for insulation. The buckets will be filled with water and I'm going to put ice packs in the buckets. Since the canisters are plastic, the heat from the water in the filter will be drawn into the water in the bucket, thus cooling the tank.
I have a new plan....instead of putting the canister in the bucket, I'm going to have a powerhead and HOB push and pull the water through tubing that will be coiled in the bucket, which will be filled with ice water. The lid will be modified for the in and out hoses.

Sound good?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A mate of mine has just set up something that sounds quite similar to what your planning Jaysee except he just extended the hoses on his canister to do it. He says that it has been quite effective so far but that he wants to fit a pump with a slower flow rate so the water is in the hoses/cooler for longer.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wow creative thinking guys! I would go for the keg idea.

BTW coolers are soooooooooooo expensive! $400! ludacris!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wow creative thinking guys! I would go for the keg idea.

BTW coolers are soooooooooooo expensive! $400! ludacris!
$400 is for the small ones. For a 90 gallon tank, they're 600-700.

I guess I'd want to use really thin tubing to maximize heat transfer.

Last edited:

DoublexL

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
a buddy of mine just moved into a house and found a diy chiller in the attic. looks like 50 ft of tubing in a 30 gal. igloo cooler.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Utty:
High temp may or may not be an issue depending on what fish are you planning to get....My tank natural temp is 80-84 degrees year-round.

seanang168

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am using a 3 Ft 40 gallon tank. My water temperature used to be around 29 and could hit 32 degree celcius. Then I installed a fan, ANS 3000 is the brand, based on recommendation from the fish shop. Overnight I let the fan run and the next day, I managed to obtain a temperature of 27 to 28 degree celcius.

On a cool raining day, I can 26 degree celcius. I am not using any cover and I got 4 x T5 39W as lighting. I am also using DIY CO2 and the plants are doing fine and have exhibited more pearling when I installed the fan.

Cheers

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't even turn on my AC until it gets over 95 degrees in the house. My 50 gallon stays around 82 degrees all the time (with heater in the winter) and I have no problem with overtemp. I'm in Phoenix, by the way, where it got to 118F last year outside.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom