How Do I Convince My Mom To Let Me Get A 120g?

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,529
Reaction score
280
Location
Central Florida
Experience
4 years
A friend of mine offered me a free 120 gallon yesterday but I had to decline because my mom does not want such a large tank in my 10'x 11' room, (the tank is 5' long) I have a 29 gallon and two 10 gallon at the moment that take up a lot of space. I am not employed right now since I am still in school and I am to young to work at most places, therefore my mom is worried it would cost a lot to get supplies and things and she would end up paying for the equipment. She says however that I may be able to convince her if I put together a compelling argument that includes the budget and equipment needed for this tank, this will also be a sort of "school project" as well. Please offer some advice! thanks!
 

vijay3242

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Reaction score
170
Location
Clovis, CA
Experience
4 years
When first starting the conversation make sure you are prepared. Find a place for the tank. Don't seem to prepared though so that it becomes a presentation, prepare enough so that it is an actual discussion
 

dcutl002

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
347
Location
Virginia
Experience
More than 10 years
Be proactive. find jobs like mowing grass, walking dogs, anything that could possibly pay money while keeping your grades up to par at the same time. If your mother sees that you are making an effort she may let you have it. She is probably afraid that the financial burden of a tank will cost her.
 

dcutl002

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
347
Location
Virginia
Experience
More than 10 years
nothing written in stone and the talking heads argue this point all the time, but I would say 3 to 4 times the tank capacity.
 

Tyler Fishman

Active Member
Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
117
Experience
5 years
You can't really, I wanted a little 10g, she said no. so what did I do? snuck it in. but I heavily doubt you can sneak a 120 in your house...
 

dcutl002

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
347
Location
Virginia
Experience
More than 10 years
Tyler Fishman said:
You can't really, I wanted a little 10g, she said no. so what did I do? snuck it in. but I heavily doubt you can sneak a 120 in your house...
But a 120 gallon is such a small tank.
 

Lynn78too

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
813
Location
Chicago
Experience
More than 10 years
As with any new pet, finding out how much it's going to cost is the responsible thing to do and something any parent will appreciate. Personally, if my child came up to me with a spreadsheet of all of the equipment with the prices (don't forget tax if there's going to be tax) and laid it all out I would be much more willing than my 9 year old who says he wants a hamster because "I want one and they're cute". Find out how far out into the room a 120 gal tank will take up, tape it out (use painter's tape so it doesn't stick too much to carpet or wood floors) to see if you will have space for your other tanks and your bed and any other furniture you might want to keep. If there's no space for your dresser, where will your clothes go? What about that expensive dresser? Where will that go? These are questions that your mom is going to ask. When your mom asks "What kind of fish are you going to put in there and why do you need more fish?" she's going to want a better answer than "I want them and they're cute".
 

MaddieTaylah

Well Known
Member
Messages
602
Reaction score
288
Location
Australia
Experience
5 to 10 years
DIY project such as filters are a good way to convince her that it doesn't have to be super expensive.
 

dcutl002

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
347
Location
Virginia
Experience
More than 10 years
Lynn78too said:
As with any new pet, finding out how much it's going to cost is the responsible thing to do and something any parent will appreciate. Personally, if my child came up to me with a spreadsheet of all of the equipment with the prices (don't forget tax if there's going to be tax) and laid it all out I would be much more willing than my 9 year old who says he wants a hamster because "I want one and they're cute". Find out how far out into the room a 120 gal tank will take up, tape it out (use painter's tape so it doesn't stick too much to carpet or wood floors) to see if you will have space for your other tanks and your bed and any other furniture you might want to keep. If there's no space for your dresser, where will your clothes go? What about that expensive dresser? Where will that go? These are questions that your mom is going to ask. When your mom asks "What kind of fish are you going to put in there and why do you need more fish?"
Now I like this idea!
 

Nauthes

Active Member
Member
Messages
225
Reaction score
67
Location
Dallas, Texas
Experience
4 years
dcutl002 said:
You could do a canister like an EheI'm 2217. Nothing against Fluval, they are good, I just prefer eheim. Or you could try two AquaClear 70 filters. I like AquaClear.
SunSun is a very cheap and reliable brand.

I'd aI'm for a SunSun 304B atleast to have enough fitlration.
Trust me a canister filter that powerful for that cheap is unheard of.

Then you could supplement it with a HOB Filter
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,529
Reaction score
280
Location
Central Florida
Experience
4 years
I just gave her a "presentation" complete with cost, time and measurements. She seemed pretty impressed and it looks like I will be asking for stocking suggestions fairly soon lol. The price for all the equipment, (tax not yet included) will be about $23.61 this accounts for the filter, lid, sand, and optional heater, some of which I already have.
 

vikingkirken

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,406
Reaction score
3,127
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 years
CROWNTAILBETTA said:
Is there a cheap way to filter such a large tank? it is 60''Lx18'W'x26''H.
Build your own filter. I built a simple aquaponics setup for my 55 gallon for about $40, and it keeps my parameters at zero... Including nitrates. For just a few more dollars (for a larger powerhead and planting box), you could do the same. Check out King of DIY on YouTube for ideas... I based my filter off of his windowbox sump.

Building your own filter would also be a good "school project" element of it
 

vikingkirken

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,406
Reaction score
3,127
Location
New Jersey
Experience
5 years
Another thought, can you consolidate tanks? You gain some room space by doing that. And you could sell any you can close down to help pay for equipment.
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
CROWNTAILBETTA said:
How much GPH do I need for a 120?
You need 8-10x's tank volume for gph. So 960-1200. I was just researching for my own tank. So you will probably need 2 filters to reach that high of gph.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,529
Reaction score
280
Location
Central Florida
Experience
4 years
AllieSten said:
You need 8-10x's tank volume for gph. So 960-1200. I was just researching for my own tank. So you will probably need 2 filters to reach that high of gph.
I am going to be using a three in one filter with relatively low flow but high amounts of biological filtration and a powerhead for circulation. You should look it up for your tank.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
169
Guests online
2,860
Total visitors
3,029

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom