How do I clean the filter and tank?

Newtankdude

Ok, I was thinking, I don't really care for having a QT, even though most people recommend it. After I get my 95ga, I want to change my 12ga Biocube into a freshwater tank (even though I hate freshwater fish), that way I have two types of fish in the house. I was wondering on how to get all the salt out of my Biocube to make it into freshwater. Please tell me your ideas. Also, do I need anything other than the filter (allready in it), lights, and a heater?

Newtankdude

Re: Going from salt to fresh, what to do...?

Oh, and another reason why I want a fresh tank is because their cheaper than saltwater fish...So I can get a lot more at a time...one more thing, Do freshwater fish have to acclimate in a floating bag like saltwater fish do? For saltwater, I just float the bag that the fish came in for about 30min-1hr, the take the fish out.

Newtankdude

*yawn* NEED AN ANSWER PLEASE!!!!

sirdarksol

Wow, your post has only been up for a few hours. There are a lot of new posts out there to read, and then someone has to have the answer you're looking for, so it can take some time for a response.

Yep, freshwater fish need to be acclimated. Floating the bag to even out the temp is a good start. Most people start adding water from the tank into the bag to get the fish used to the chemistry of the new water, too.
If you completely break the tank down and thoroughly rinse everything off, you should get most of the salt out of the tank. Freshwater fish can survive a bit of salt (some of them even like it), and as long as you acclimate them, they should do fine.

Newtankdude

ok, I was thinking that maybe to clean it out I could do this, tell me if its a good idea...

Take the saltwater out, the scrub it a little with just water.
Then, I put freshwater into it and run the fiilters for a few days.
Then drain it again, scrub with fresh water than run freshwater through it again.
Drain it one more time, then refill it and let it cycle.

Is this a good idea since I can't take it apart?

griffin

if you can't take it apart, a lot of rinsing/refilling is about all you can really do

COBettaCouple

yea, I think you have the plan for cleaning it out good.. and you can always check the salinity level.. if it's not detectable by your testing, then it should either be free of salt or low enough to not be a big deal.. if you plan on any scaleless fish, maybe a couple extra rinse & refills wouldn't hurt.

Newtankdude

ok ;D

usualy I hate freshwater fish but I'd like to have more than just one water type fish. I want to have fish that I don't have to worry about so much for the little one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom