How do I clean my planted tank?

Olivia Janae

So I have a 30 gallon with hairgrass on the bottom. It’s now starting the carpet and so I’m wondering should I not be vacuuming amongst the grass? Any tips in general on how best to maintain my tank?

Attachments

• 55A501F1-FF7A-4933-8432-6819E82BA4F4.jpeg
    55A501F1-FF7A-4933-8432-6819E82BA4F4.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 22

A201

Really no need to gravel vac. Rely on a weekly 25% - 50% water change, careful feeding & a group of bottom feeding scavengers.

Upvote 0

Olivia Janae

Cool! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Tetraman124

A tooth brush has always worked well for me and maybe ad some pothos to the top and keep those Nitrates low

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Agree with A201 above...

I don't bother vacuuming my substrate unless I notice a buildup of junk on top, which is usually just leftover gunk from dissolved Indian Almond Leaves and dead pieces of Moss that went rogue and floated away from the bunch. It's typically sitting right on the surface of the substrate, so just hovering the vac right above it will suck it up. I've heard of people using turkey basters to stir up the stuff resting on the substrate so that it will rise above the substrate and you have less of a risk of sucking up sand, but I think I've developed a pretty good feel for how close to get the vac to just get the debris and not the sand.

Anything that settles into the sand should help the plants to grow.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
minervalong
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies