How Do I Clean An Old Fish Tank?

1. jcmguy Member Member

I have purchased 4 old 10 gallon tanks from a friend for 20 bucks but they are riddled with calcium deposits and have a blue paint on them as a background.. any steps I can take to make these tanks looking new again?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Rm2011 Initiate Member

I would suggest getting a glass scraping razor to remove the paint, and possibly to help with the calcium deposits. For those, I take a paper towel and saturate it with vinegar. Then let it sit on the deposits for 20-30 mins. Then scrape it off. The glass razors can usually be found in the paint area of most stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know about the paint but i just recently got my dads old 100 gal and I filled it up with hose water outside and checked for leaks. I found a LOT of leaks! Once you identify any leaks you drain the tank and put silicon along the seams that have leaks. Then you take a NEW sponge and scrub the build up/tank really well WITHOUT soap until the dirt is gone. Also how big are the build ups? If they are really big i would start chipping them away and use the above method for the rest of the calcium. Hope this helps!

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I've heard vinegar works. But I've never tried it. I usually just scrub the tank with warm water and a sponge

5. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Vinegar did WONDERS for me! I'm not at my computer or I'd share pictures. I filled the entire tank with water and vinger for 24 hours. The stuff that I thought I would have to get a razor for just sloughed off. Best of luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I found the pictures in my phone. It looks even better now. Just needs one last wipe down and it can be setup.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

7. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Wow very nice work!