How do I clean a previous SW to make it a FW tank?

MeganD

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Maybe this needs to go in a different area - but I have a new question - I *believe* that this was a salt water tank, as the lady told me to make sure to clean it with salt water (??) so can I go from a really well cleaned out salt water tank to a freshwater?? If so, what do I use to clean it with??

BTW: My son is EXSTATIC! He was so worried about having to loose some of his friends!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Megan, I moved this question to a thread of it's own.
You'll get better responses with a title that reflects your question.

I'm sure someone will be able to help

Good luck!!

MeganD

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I purchased a tank from a rummage sale - possibly an old salt water tank - I'm upgrading my freshwater tank. I started by boiling some water and soaked all of the decoration items that I received with my used tank. I still need to clean the filter units - HOB and under gravel - and the tank itself. Will vinegar/water be enough or do I need to do something else?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm actually picking up a 55g today that was salt and turning it into an Mbuna FW setup. I would be interested to hear a technique myself

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
vinegar/water should work great ....just dont use soup... mostly just good old water and some elbow greese works best. Way back in the day i use witch hazel to clean my tanks

MeganD

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
vinegar/water should work great ....just dont use soup... mostly just good old water and some elbow greese works best. Way back in the day i use witch hazel to clean my tanks
Perfect! Thanks so much!

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would fill it up and use as much vinegar as you can, let it soak, drain it, refill it again, drain it, and then fill once more and this time, dechlorinate and begin your fishless cycling process.

Any hard water stains can be removed with a razor blade if they are on the glass, and any calcium deposits on plastic can be removed by soaking paper towel in vinegar, then leaving it stuck onto the affected area for an hour. Vinegar is non-toxic (though acidic) and will dilute away and not harm your fish.

Obviously NEVER use any soap, ammonia, or cleaning products of any kind.

It is okay to use some bleach but be sure to use a LOT of dechlorinator during the first rinse, to remove any remaining bleach, if you elect to bleach your tank and other things.

W

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom