How Do I Clean A Planted Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Snailwhisperer, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Snailwhisperer

SnailwhispererValued MemberMember

I have many snails and now about a millions fry. They are making a mess. I need to clean my tank but don't want to disrupt the plants too much. Does anyone have a suggestions for vacuuming a planted tank? My substrate is gravel. I have a vac. Do I need to worry about vacuuming too much or too deep and disrupting BB?

My tank is 40 gals and contains: 20+ Mollies (3 females + and too many fry), 3 rabbit snails, 1 ramshorn, 8 mystery snails, 2 devil spike, 3 chopsticks, 4-9 mini shrimp (I know it is overstocked. I have a difficulty with the water in my 55 gal and so, I am doing by best with two tanks. Half of the snails will be going in there, but this is why I need to really clean my tank.).

Plants: Water sprite, Moss balls, Moneywort, Dark red Ludwigia, Green Cabomba, lacy java fern, and 7 clutches of mystery snails.

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I have planted sand aquariums. I take a plant tool and stir the sand up letting the filtration clear it (I use high flow) I do this right before I service the filters. Other than that I wave the gravel vac over the sand.

3. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

I worry about shrimp and fry getting caught in the vac. What type of fauna do you have? What type of Filtration do you have? I have a HOB which I think is probably not the best ( I see people describing fancy filtration on here all the time).

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Get a big 'ol turkey baster, if you want to be really hands on. Use that to blow into the gravel and siphon out the crud that comes up. For the shrimp and fry, silicone a piece of nylon pantyhose or sponge over the intake, and empty the water into a bucket so you can make sure none got sucked up. It takes quite a bit longer, but is a safer method for the fry and shrimp.

5. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

Thanks that is a great idea. I have plenty of tights that should be retired anyway! And, my daughter will think this is so fun it may count as quality time!

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, you don't need to worry about gravel vaccing too much. Most of the BB are in the filter. You can stick the gravel siphon deep into the gravel to get all the waste and mulm out. Just vacuum around the plants as best you can.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I run both HOB and canisters combined on all aquariums for 10x the water column in GPH. All aquariums are planted. We have angels, tetras, rams, corys, mollies, glass cats, ABN, guppies, killiefish, ottos, mystery snails, shrimp (amano) etc, etc...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice