How Do I Change Filter Question

1. JasmineMcG

JasmineMcG Valued Member Member

My filter cartridge is tore up. How do i replace it without losing my cycle?

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Valued Member Member

Most filters have one that has carbon in it that you replace, and then another that is a kinda mesh material. You should be just changing out the one that has the carbon in it but you provided almost no information to help with an answer. Take a picture at the very least.

3. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

If you have an HOB filter add the new cartridge into the filter with the old one in there for a month.

4. MrBryan723

Depends on the hob, the carbon should be replaced frequently, while if the mesh is what's trashed you're correct.

5. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

Sorry about the lack of info my bad its a hob filter penguin bio-wheel100 it only has the bio wheel and a cartridge with carbon. I had to cut it open to take out carbon about a week ago to medicate for ich. And now its understandably falling apart. My cycle and perimeters are perfect and i really dont wanna mess it up

6. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

Also. I dont thing it will fit another cartridge

Attached Files:

7. MrBryan723

Good deal. You can replace the filter with no I'll effects. Its something you ought to do monthly or with every water change minimum. The "biowheel" is where the business gets done. Unless your tank is overstocked you should have no issues

8. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

Man that makes me nervous. The biowheel still looks new and the filter does not. Are you sure there is enough good bacteria in the wheel?

9. MrBryan723

I do have to ask tho, how long has this tank been set up? Usually a biowheel will be pretty brown and that's important. You don't want to clean those off very often if ever.

10. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

T
    The tank is not "over stocked" but its getting close as some of my babies grow. Upgrade is coming soon. Its 20 gallons. 4 mollies, a bn pleco, 2 snails, a loach and a red finned shark

11. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

No
    Not very long. About a month for the current filter

Attached Files:

12. MrBryan723

Well, you can always rinse it off and leave it for another week. You won't crash your cycle if you change it out immediately, but keep an eye on your water parameters just to make sure you don't get any spikes. Also the bacteria you need grows everywhere in the tank so if the tank itself isn't new, the reseeding process will be quick.

13. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

I dont even have a replacement right now. But i wanted to pick one up later this week and wanted to make sure i dont mess anything up when i do change it out. All my fish are thriving and I'd hate to hurt any of them with sudden perimeter changes

14. MrBryan723

Honestly, changing out the carbon would be the lesser of those evils. It will absorb excess ammonia and also other "smells" a tank can produce.

15. MrBryan723

Don't feel too bad tho, I neglect my carbon filters too lol. But I have like 5 fish in 160 gallons of water right now so it's not a big deal. Smaller tanks need much more maintenance. 15341295187525539577503554177440.jpg

16. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I’m going to be brutally honest. Your Marineland 100 isn’t going to cut it as your fish gets older and your tank starts to get older. The 100 is only rated up to 20g, so you sort of meet the requirement but honestly that filter probably be better fit for a 15g max.

If I were you I would consider getting an upgrade. If your like Marineland I would look at the 200 which works for 30-50g. The housing should be much bigger which would allow you to put in the pads and much more.

I used to run a 350 in my 55g. I stuffed it with bio rings, sponges and whatever I could fit in the housing. I would do the same for you instead of relying on one pad you have multiple stages for your filter, more filtration for the tank.

If you keep with the 100 you will see the tank go white. That would be a bacteria bloom. While not harmless at all it won’t look good at all. That is because the bacteria has no where else to go since the space is already maxed out. You will have homeless bacteria lurking around.

So I would look at upgrading your filter. It will be less headaches in the long term.

Also the bio wheels...they hold bacteria but 95% of it is all in the housing.

17. OP
    OP
    JasmineMcG

Good to know thank you. I will be upgrading my tank soon to a 55 and that will definitely include new filter. And i do like the penguin so ill probably stick to that but waaayyyy bigger lol

18. AquaBaby

AquaBaby Valued Member Member

I've had to seed a new cartridge with an old one before when there wasn't a lot of room. Cut a good sized piece of the "material" part off of the old cartridge and put it in with your new one. Put it on the side of the new cartridge away from the side the water leaves your filter. This way the water flows through it first and then into the new one. Put as much material as you can without making your filter overflow, but any is better than none!

You'll find lots of opinions about how often you should change your cartridge and different ways to modify your filter to increase efficiency. One easy thing to do is get a sponge for your intake. This will also give you more surface area for beneficial bacteria as it doesn't look like there's a lot of extra room in your filter at the moment. Just do a lot of reading, ask lots of questions, and you'll have an idea of what you want to do when you upgrade. Your little fish will grow up quicker than you think!!!!