How do I catch my tetra?

1. samamamajama Member Member

I have recently had some problems sprouting in my tank from my black widow tetras as they are chasing the other fish and nipping at them (mainly my golden gourami). I was informed by a local fish store that they were quite friendly fish and good for community tanks but after some research and own experience I have found they are not a good fish for my tank.

I am struggling to catch them so i can return them to the pet store, does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to catch these guys? They are living in a 200L tank thats filled around 30% of plants. Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

2. cichlid1029 Initiate Member

Ask fro help and when traing to catch use a small bucket and one net at the same time if you dont have a net use your hand. Hope it helps

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You can use a red net, some fish have more difficulty seeing red. Or a clear net I suppose might help too.

You can try to turn on some sort of red light, since fish have difficulty seeing red it'd be more like darkness because they'd still have trouble seeing and perhaps they may not see your net as well.

Are you using just a net or you using one hand to herd them and the other to hold net?

I'm not sure what other ways to catch them.

EDIT: Yeah a small bucket would help too, the larger the thing you're herding them into the more likely they'll swim into it, which is when you scoop them up!

4. samamamajama Member Member

I am using 2 nets right now to try and herd them but they just swim straight around the other net too quickly for me to catch

5. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Take half the water out, and if possible use a small net to guide them into a bigger one. When they get used to your attempts try something different (for example if they know you're going to try to trap them against the glass, switch to trying to scoop them upwards, or something like that. The 'element of surprise can work wonders). If you don't catch them within a few minutes give up and let them rest for a while.

Or you could always remove the plants and decor to make it easy.

Red nets and red light won't help, fish can see red as well as any other colour.

6. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I hold the net still on the bottom until one swims in or really close to it and then I catch them like that. They're so fast and waving the net around just gets them going.

7. samamamajama Member Member

Ended up using a small red net to herd them into a bigger one and it all worked out fine :)

8. Koniucha Member Member

I have had to catch mine when moving them to my new tank. I thought they were going to have a heart attack or that I would squish them.

Just patience I guess.