How do I care for baby Mollies and Platys?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Molly/PlatyLover, Dec 11, 2012.

1. M

Molly/PlatyLover New Member Member

Right, I have 5 new baby fish. In my tank, I have 4 Neon Tetras, 2 Black Mollies (male and female) and 2 Salt and Pepper Platies (male and female). Some of my baby fish are pich black but some look like they have spots. I think 2 are platies and 3 are mollies but i'm not sure. I keep them in a large catching net which is about 6cm long. When can I let them out into the main tank because they are about 1cm long now. Will the mollies eat the platies? I have heard that they are quite agressive. I feed them very tiny ground fish flakes. I have a large bunched plant in with the adult fish. How much bigger do they have to be?

Thanks alot!

;)

Attached Files:

2. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore

At 1cm long they're plenty big (assuming there aren't any other, larger species in your tank). Mollies might bully them, but they shouldn't be able to eat them outright.

The larger issue is that in your profile, you say that you don't understand the Nitrogen Cycle. Click on the words where they're underlined here in my post to read up on it, and feel free to ask lots and lots of questions on the forum! We love to help newcomers to the hobby learn about keeping healthy, happy fish!

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore :)

As long as the fry are large enough not to be eaten, they should do fine in the main tank with the adults.

4. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Congrats on your fry. You can feed them the ground fllakes or get some hikari first bites which is higher in protein and speeds their initial growth. Like already said you can put them back in when they are too big to fit in the other fishes mouths. You could also add more plants to offer more natural hiding spaces and skip the net in the future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice