How Do I Care For A Surprise Baby Snail? How Do I

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Dejen, May 23, 2019.

1. Dejen

DejenValued MemberMember

I'll try to keep this brief. I've discovered that there is a baby snail in my 2.5 gallon tank. I believe it came with the two Moss Balls I purchased from the pet store last week (I wasn't planning on keeping anything else in a tank this size and am working to get my first beginner 29-gallon tank at the end of this month).

It's hanging out on the Moss Ball (presumably feeding??), but I'm worried about the plastic plants that are in there as well. I also don't have a heater and my place gets pretty cold. I do not know what species of snail it is... The adorable little thing has somehow lasted this long (about 6 days now) but how do I keep it alive? Any advice?

IMG_20190523_121750.jpgIMG_20190523_121804.jpg

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Looks like a bladder snail. Short of a nuclear bomb it will be fine. The plastic plants won't hurt it and it won't hurt them.

3. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

Hard to tell if that's a Bladder snail or a Ramshorn snail. I'm guessing bladder. You may be back here in a few weeks posting "How do I get rid of all these snails?!"
    Not much short of dropping the snail in a pool of bleach will kill it, it will be fine in your tank regardless if it gets chilly.

4. OP
    OP
    Dejen

DejenValued MemberMember

Thanks for clarifying!

5. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

It looks like a Ramshorn.. they can be beneficial in tanks too as long as you don't overfeed, then they overrun. It will survive off of any fish food floating around and eat a bit of algae if you get any. It's not a tank cleaner though!

That is a most beautiful tank... love your meditating ornament. :):emoji_pray:

6. OP
    OP
    Dejen

DejenValued MemberMember

I kind of like the idea of having something I can watch grow as the moment while I get my 29 g set up and cycled. Do we think it's feeding on the moss ball? Or something else?

7. toeknee

Snails will feed on some types algae (depends on snail species too), fallen food, any sort of bio-film in tanks, dead and dying plant leaves. There's all kinds of things in your tank a snail will eat.

Usually eating a healthy plant is the last thing they'll eat unless they're starved of any other food source. My old hospital tank that had nothing in it besides substrate was running for well over a year. I would usually just top off the water and do a water change every once in a great while. Never put food or anything in it and both bladder and ramshorn snails thrived in there whether I wanted them to or not.

So as far as "care" goes the only thing you need to do is keep water in the tank and he'll be fine. Yours could definitely be ramshorn, which I like as long as population doesn't get out of control. They can almost the size of a quarter fully grown. But beware if there is TOO much food for them to eat you'll have an explosion in snail population.

8. OP
    OP
    Dejen

DejenValued MemberMember

Great to know, thank you! I don't have too much food to put in the tank at the moment, anyway, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I'm pretty sure it's just the one, but I'll keep an eye out for more.

Thanks again!

9. OP
    OP
    Dejen

DejenValued MemberMember

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

And thank you for the comment on the tank! Very kind of you.

10. toeknee

Ramshorn and Bladder snails are asexual so they don't need another snail to breed. They'll lay eggs and in a couple weeks they hatch.

11. OP
    OP
    Dejen

DejenValued MemberMember

Oh snap. Okay... I'll keep an eye out, then.

12. Crimson_687

Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

If you end up with a large enough colony of them and you want to be rid of some, you can get an assasin snail

13. beginnerbecky

beginnerbeckyNew MemberMember

Hey! You already got a lot of responses but im here too. I just posted something similar cuz i also have the exact same thing as you! I have a 10 gallon i just planted for fun and maybe a future betta :) I discovered a snail about a week ago. I reserched the care and they'll just feed on the plants, dead partds, and algae, they don't really have any care they're pretty tough guys. I think theyre were eggs in my tank (they just look like tiny white specks in a weird algae like almost translucent fluff thing) but I sucked it up in a water change and havent noticed more. Somehow mine hasn't bred yet but if it starts too I'm probably gonna get an assasin snail! Snails are pretty handy too and i dont want to kill him myslef :( but for now i wanna keep the little guy theyre so cute :) good luck w yours!