How do I Breed Mollies?!

1. Molly105 Member Member

Hey! I'm a new fish owner and have a couple questions about breeding Mollies.
    Q1: Is it bad to put a pregnant Molly in a breeding nest?
    Q2: Do Mollies eat their fry?
    Q4: What plant can I use to hide them?
    Thank you so much my fish would probably all be dead without this app

2. GoldenKillifish Member Member

OK here's what I've read and my opinion.
    1.I've seen both sides of argument but I think it's dependent on the female. I have constantly pregnant platies who stress easy .

2.yes mollies will eat their fry

3.I've heard lots of suggestions on plants but generally anything dense that they can easily squirm into. Grasses seem to be popular.

3. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Q1: like Golden Killifish said, dependent upon female. Personally, if you are really breeding them(separate breeding tank, exc.) I'd simply breed her, if she's not already prego, with the male you wish to breed her and separate the tank. Less stress for her, and can make it easier for getting fry. I've been thinking about breeding some type of livebearer and sectioning four parts off. One for a male, one each for two females and one for fry.
    Q2: Yep, they sure do.
    Q3: Plants, fake or live, decor, making small crevasses in rocks(stacking them on each other), gravel, exc.
    Welcome to the forum!

4. Molly105 Member Member

Thanks

5. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Okay, this is certainly not been answered correctly.

1. YES, it is always bad to put a female livebearer in a breeding net. It is not dependent on the female, it is the size of the breeding container. A female molly should be isolated in nothing smaller than a 10 gallon tank. And even that is only until the fry are dropped.

2. Yes and no. Yes, they may eat some fry if they are very hungry or if the fry do not have adequate hiding places. However, a well fed female will not eat her own fry, contrary to popular bellief, so long as they have a mass of plants to get into. I have two small females in a 15 with a mass of Guppy Grass, and they have both dropped without eating a significant number of fry. After two days, they ignore even very small fry that swim almost in front of them.

3. Plants make the female feel more comfortable about releasing her young, and provide immediate hiding places for the fry. Live plants also provide forage for the very young fry, as microorganisms abound on the leaves/fronds. I use Guppy Grass, but you can also use Java Moss, floating Water Sprite, and pretty much any bushy type of plant.

6. GoldenKillifish Member Member

OK chromedome52 as always you attack anything I say. Could the OP section off part (at least 10 gal)of a larger tank for female?

7. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Yes, if one partitions a section of a larger tank, that is not the same as using a so-called "breeding net". The important part is that the female be given sufficient space to make her feel comfortable, and isolate her from the other fish. I usually use 10s (because I have a lot of them) for a heavy female sword or Molly. I fill the tank about half to two thirds with Guppy Grass. I would do a female Platy in a similarly stuffed 5, as that is a much smaller species.

Isolating the female helps save fry. I had a female sword who dropped fry in a long 30G tank with several other swords and some smaller cichlids. They waited underneath her for the fry to pop out; they didn't stand a chance. Another large female was placed in a 5, because I didn't have a 10 ready. I went upstairs to eat lunch, and when I returned about an hour later, she had dropped over 150 fry. She was so worn out from giving birth that she had no energy to chase the kids! That was when I first bought 6 ft. diameter wading pools to raise swords. Lots of Guppy grass, and they don't seem to feel the need to jump.

8. Molly105 Member Member

Hey can I put the fry in a separate tank once their born and how in the world do I catch them

9. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Yep, you sure can! If you have floating plants I usually put a net under them and lift the plant out of the water(with the net), leave the net in the water though. It usually catches quit a few, then you can always just chase them down as well.:)

10. Molly105 Member Member

Thank you is that what you recommend? Does the tank I put them in need a filter and how big of a tank

11. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I don't recommend it or not recommend it really, for me it's easier to just have them in the main tank, but I have done a grow out tank before and it worked well. The only downside is that(depending on size) you can really only have one batch at a time, because if you get a 1 month old batch and put a 1 day old batch together, the 1 month olds will probably eat them. I'd recommend a 10g, but honestly, like any with any other fish, bigger the better! You'll have to do daily waterchanges/every other day depending on how many you put in. A filter would be great, I'd suggest a sponge filter otherwise it might not end up so good. Also make sure it's cycled.:) If you keep them in the big tank then you can just get some breeder boxes(I have around 6... Had over 40 babies I saved at one point) or make your own. Hope this is helpful.:) And no problem, I love to help out!:)

12. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Keeping a sponge filter in the main tank gives you an immediately seeded filter for a smaller tank, no cycling required. I have two long 20 gallon tanks in which I keep two or three sponges so that I can grab one any time I need to set up a tank in a hurry for spawning or for fry.

Breeder boxes slow the growth of fry, they are deathtraps for the females that stress them out to where they may drop prematurely, or conversely make them hold until they feel there is room for the fry to be dropped. This is the least desireable way to keep heavy females and/or fry.

If breeding is your objective, then you have to be prepared to keep multiple tanks for raising young and isolating breeder adults. If this seems like too much work, then stop trying to save fry, and just let nature take its course. It is more cruel to try to raise fry in less than desireable conditions than to let them be eaten. If you have bushy plants in your decorative tank, some fry very well may survive and hide in there until large enough to join the adults safely.