How Do I Breed Guppies? Breeding Net Or No? Help!!! 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by EmilyClick28, May 25, 2018.

1. EmilyClick28

EmilyClick28 Valued Member Member

I have a 30gal cycled planted tank, and just today I bought a pair of guppies. One is a male and one is a female. I didn't notice at the pet store, but the female has a very large belly and a black spot on her abdomen, which I've been told means she's pregnant. I would love for the fry to survive, since the tank is otherwise empty, but I've never bred fish before and I don't know how. Some people suggested a breeding net, but some said it can kill the mother fish and the fry. The tank has dwarf sag, anubias nana, amazon swords, and water wysteria. I don't have any other tanks I could move the fry to, unfortunately. Do you think its likely that the fry will survive if I don't purchase a breeding net and just let them swim free? The only other fish in the tank is the male guppy and the mother.

2. Agrivoi1

Agrivoi1 New Member Member

If the plants are thick enough there should be enough cover for the babies to hide in and a breeding net would not be necessary.

3. cody2posh

cody2posh Valued Member Member

First off you need another female or the male will harass her trying to mate until she's so exhausted she dies. You want someone else with which he may, *ahem* "share his affection" :)

But yeah I breed guppies and IME it's best to just leave them be. Like the other guy said if it's heavily planted enough you don't even have to worry about the fry. Also enough plants ensure enough biofilm so you won't have to supplement the fry with special food, they just digest the leftover egg yolk, eat biofilm, and within a day or two can eat normal fish food you dust up between your fingers as you sprinkle it into the tank.

Good luck, if you're interested I have pics on my profile of my guppy breeder setup with all the plants and whatnot, you can see 3 rounds of guppy babies at 5wks, 3wks and 1 day respectively

I also just uploaded a nice 4K video on YouTube of the same tank :)

4. OP
    OP
    EmilyClick28

Thank you for the tip! I'll have to get another one. Would he still harass her and try to breed with her if she's pregnant already though? Or will he leave her alone if she is? I'm pretty sure she is pregnant.... Here's a picture of her, that's the black spot and her belly looks pretty big, but its not square/boxy yet. Here's also a picture of my tank, its low light so the plants are sort of growing upwards instead of wide and bushy, so would you think this would be enough cover and protection for the fry? Also, looking at the female, how much longer do you think it will be until she gives birth?

[​IMG]Hmmm I can't seem to get pictures to work... How do I put photos in these comments?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2018
  5. cody2posh

There's no pic but the dark spot is no guarantee of pregnancy, that's just her uterus basically. The boxy/large size is the best indicator of birth being imminent. And yes, he will STILL harass her even if she's pregnant, I don't think he's necessarily in it for the babies

6. OP
    OP
    EmilyClick28

My 30 gal planted tank

here's a link to the pic of my 30gal tank

is this guppy pregnant?

and here's the possibly pregnant guppy. what do you think, does she look pregnant to you?

7. cody2posh

Not totally sure (probably an error in my app) but the links take me to a thread on nerite snails?

8. OP
    OP
    EmilyClick28

Oh haha I finally figured it out! Here we go. This is the tank, very happy with it! The plants seem to be doing really well, I'm dosing with seachem flourish and excel, and just today I made some diy osmocote root tabs, can't wait to see how those help the sword and dwarf sag. First time doing a fairly heavily planted tank
    full.jpg

Here's the guppy

full.jpg

9. cody2posh

Gorgeous tank! And yeah definitely preggo, should be heavily planted and big enough that any fry should be fine

10. OP
    OP
    EmilyClick28

Thank you! Good to know, I'm glad cause it'll be fun to have fry for the first time! Thanks for all the help, nice helpful people like you are why I use Fishlore

11. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I used to breed Guppies and other live bearers like Platies and Swordtails. The females are pretty much always pregnant since they can have multiple births from only one contact with a male. I almost always put the female in a breeder box when she was ready and then put the fry in a separate tank. I could never get plants to grow very much back then so I had a second 10 gallon tank.

The fry are in the most danger when they are first born. It takes a few minutes for them to be completely free swimming so even though your tank is planted, you will probably lose a few. I had a large Platy once that had 83 babies at once. Most lived and I sold them to a LFS when they were big enough. I only got like 5 cents apiece but that was 50 years ago when all fish sold for less than a dollar.

12. cody2posh

Ah you're from the old school, been living "the dream" for a while now, eh? I wanted ask seeing as how you've been around the hobby for a while if you've noticed a decline in general guppy health/hardiness over the decades?

I'm currently breeding guppies (small scale in DFW area) with an emphasis not only on aesthetic quality but trying to ensure a healthy gene pool. I know the scuttlebutt floating around (I say this because I'm 26 and relatively new to the hobby but I've heard stories) is that guppies are basically genetically weak from years of inbreeding to get strains like cobraskins, moscows, etc. But yeah Ive basically been trying to breed from wide family trees and vastly different but related phenotypes (different kinds of cobraskins for instance) and taking the best hybrids from multiple parental sources and breeding those hybrids, so on and so on.

But yeah I've actually gotten some decent strains out of it (blue x yellow cobra = green cobraskin, basically yellow w blue flouresence over it to appear green; red x yellow cobraskin to get a hot orange, those accidentally bred w a half black recessive strain and gave me an orange/purple cobraskin hybrid) that I've been selling to LFSs and you can actually find a decent population of them in North DFW now which I'm very proud of, but I've also gotten very positive feedback from LFS owners on the health of these fish.

Anyway just wanted to pick your brain for your $.02 and see if Im helping THAT much or if it really is just THAT bad.

Thanks
    - Cody

13. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

In a tank that size I would add 2 more female guppies, to take some pressure off that lone one.

14. cody2posh

Also if anyone is interested I've started a member journal thread over my guppy/RCS 10g breeder I set up. It's a gorgeous tank and I'll be trying to update with short videos daily (if not then at least every other day) to show fish growth and do a sort of tank vlog.

10g Guppy/rcs Breeding Adventure

Here's the thread, feel free to peak at the videos and pics I have up already. If you like what you see, follow the thread and watch little baby guppies and RCS grow up, mature into their colors, and WE select which individuals have the best aesthetic traits that we'll try to select for when the next generation is ready to breed in another month or two!

Thanks
    - Cody

15. Dch48

I would have to say that all tropical fish, not just guppies, are weaker than they were 50 years ago from all kinds of selective inbreeding. Crossing strains like you are doing can only be a good thing.

16. cody2posh

Good to hear. Any advice you could pass on as far as breeding for aesthetic quality?

17. Dch48

Only that the female you want to breed can not have had any contact with males for at least 6 months, preferably never. You probably already knew that though.

18. cody2posh

Yeah, any idea about her being able to pull sperm from two males tho? Like let's say she has some stored away and after giving birth she's also impregnated? I ask because I had a female drop fry and literally half look like the male I put in, the other half look like the male I had her with a few months before.
    It's easy to tell because one of the males was a half black cobraskin, the other was a bright (almost albino tinted) sunburst scale color with a tail like a flame, and sure enough half the fry are already darkening half the body, the other half have been the bright albinoish color since the day they dropped.

But yeah curious if you've ever heard of this or possibly experienced it yourself? Everything I've found on it (which is extremely little) tells me it shouldn't be possible.

19. Dch48

I have absolutely seen that happen before.

20. OP
    OP
    EmilyClick28

Update:
    The guppy fry have been born!!! There are at least 8 of them, though its hard to count when they're loose in the tank. They're healthy and growing fast. Thanks everyone for the help!!! This is really exciting, my first time raising fish fry!
    full.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice