How Do I Breed Electric Blue Crayfish?

FishWithTim

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
237
Location
United States, Florida
Experience
2 years
I don’t know how many times I’ve said I wanted to breed a fish, but now I am really really wanting to breed electric blue crayfish. I’ve been saying I want a crayfish lately but I just haven’t gotten one yet. I think they’re really interesting and cool. Been seeing a lot of youtubers here breed them here lately. Can anyone give me advice and instructions?
 

Cheesecake

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
3,457
Location
Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
Experience
5 to 10 years
Step #1. Buy crayfish
Step #2. Put em in the same tank
Step #3. Wait

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert so I don't know if that's OK or not.

Katie13 do you breed crayfish?
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,639
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
Canaculus said:
Step #1. Buy crayfish
Step #2. Put em in the same tank
Step #3. Wait

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert so I don't know if that's OK or not.

Katie13 do you breed crayfish?
My male and female got moved into the same 29g, but at this time, no, I don’t breed them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
FishWithTim

FishWithTim

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
237
Location
United States, Florida
Experience
2 years
Canaculus said:
Step #1. Buy crayfish
Step #2. Put em in the same tank
Step #3. Wait

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert so I don't know if that's OK or not.

Katie13 do you breed crayfish?
I mean, that’s quite obvious.
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,639
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
First off, don’t breed anything you don’t have experience keeping.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
FishWithTim

FishWithTim

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
237
Location
United States, Florida
Experience
2 years
Katie13 said:
First off, don’t breed anything you don’t have experience keeping.
Keeping what? Fish? I’ve been keeping fish for two years now, the only thing I’ve bred guppies.

I briefly know how the process goes, the crayfish have to be the same size, the male has to get on top of the female, they do there thing, take the male out, eggs start to form under the females tail. What do I do with the babies? Move them to another tank/breeder box?
 

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,639
Reaction score
2,833
Location
East TN
Experience
More than 10 years
Basically, if you’ve never kept Crayfish then don’t breed them. Don’t breed any species you don’t have experience with.
 

Guanchy

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
2,386
Location
New York City
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you inform yourself well, read, ask questions, watch videos etc (which you are doing) I don't see why not breed them even if you haven't kept them before. As long as you learn what to do, how to properly care for them and you have a plan for tons of babies, you should be good
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,117
Reaction score
3,495
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
4 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
Keeping what? Fish? I’ve been keeping fish for two years now, the only thing I’ve bred guppies.
Demeter means crayfish, since you're trying to breed those, not fish.
For crayfish, it's very similar to shrimp, just more aggressive.
They'll mate right after the female sheds and she will hold the eggs externally for around a month. Once you see little eyes in the eggs, you'll want to move the female to another tank with lots of plants (she will eat the plants. And the babies) and move her out once they hatch.
It's essential to keep them for a while before breeding them so you get a hang of gH, kH, TDS and how they interact
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
FishWithTim

FishWithTim

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
237
Location
United States, Florida
Experience
2 years
Can two electric blue crayfish live together? Whether it’s a male and a female, male and male, female and female in a 20 long? One seems kind of boring.
 

CameronsBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
458
Reaction score
257
Experience
5 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
Can two electric blue crayfish live together? Whether it’s a male and a female, male and male, female and female in a 20 long? One seems kind of boring.
I had a male and female red crayfish in a 20 gal and I wasn't trying to breed them but after a week or 2 the female had eggs and now I have lots of baby crayfish which are about 2-4cm right now. I did research on them as soon as I saw that the female was carrying eggs of course.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,117
Reaction score
3,495
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
4 years
MidnightBettas said:
I had a male and female red crayfish in a 20 gal and I wasn't trying to breed them but after a week or 2 the female had eggs and now I have lots of baby crayfish which are about 2-4cm right now. I did research on them as soon as I saw that the female was carrying eggs of course.
What kind of red crayfish? CPO/Dwarf orange Mexican?
I know C. Diminutus and the Cajun one can live together, and CPO's, but those are all dwarf crays
 

CameronsBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
458
Reaction score
257
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
What kind of red crayfish? CPO/Dwarf orange Mexican?
I know C. Diminutus and the Cajun one can live together, and CPO's, but those are all dwarf crays
I don't even know but they aren't dwarfs theyre just normal crayfish. I didn't buy them myself but here a photo of some of the babies
IMG_20190322_064214.jpg
IMG_20190322_155227.jpg
IMG_20190321_203332.jpg


I checked quickly and apparently they're called Neon Red Crayfish
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,117
Reaction score
3,495
Location
Atlanta, GA
Experience
4 years
MidnightBettas said:
I checked quickly and apparently they're called Neon Red Crayfish
Interesting, the neon reds seem to be a color variant of the electric blue. How big are yours, and how long have you had them? They look too small to be that kind, and they do look like CPO's to me. Then again, I'm terrible at ID. They're super adorable though!! Thanks for showing us!
 

CameronsBettas

Active Member
Member
Messages
458
Reaction score
257
Experience
5 years
Rtessy said:
Interesting, the neon reds seem to be a color variant of the electric blue. How big are yours, and how long have you had them? They look too small to be that kind, and they do look like CPO's to me. Then again, I'm terrible at ID. They're super adorable though!! Thanks for showing us!
The adult were about 10 cm for the male and the female around 7 or 8cm. I sold them last week but the ones in the photos above are just babies. They are about 2 to 3 cm
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
278
Guests online
3,137
Total visitors
3,415

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom