How Do I Breed Bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by phantom, Apr 18, 2018.

1. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

could you guys tell me everything about it thanks any info helps

2. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

4. OP
    OP
    phantom

thanks guys!!!

5. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Firstly, i guessing your talking about betta splendens the "petstore" betta. These bettas come in many different morphs and colors. Firstly, when selecting fish, try to go with solid color fish of the same color. This helps prevent colored mixes that many find ugly. Also try to get the same morph, because a solid morph will sell better than a weaker one. Double tail bettas can not be bred together because the fry will have swim bladder issues. If you like the double tail gene, you need to breed a double with another morph. After you have purchased your betta, monitor them for 3 weeks. during this process, you should condition them with live foods. Black worms, daphina, even mosquito larvae work very well for this. You must keep the fish separate at this time for the male will kill the female if they are kept together. After the 3 weeks, put each betta into a glass jar and allow them to see each other. After the male begins to build a bubble nest in the jar, you can place the male and female into the aquarium. The aquarium should be at least 10 gallons, but only filled up 6 inches with water. The aquarium should be densly planted and bare bottom. the 6 inches of water and bare bottomed aquarium are for the male when picking up eggs. He can find the eggs better and can more easily place them in the bubble nest. You need to monitor the male and female at all times during breeding because their is still a possibility of the male killing the female. Betta splendens is a domestic betta and were bred for aggression, so this is not a natural species. The male will blow a bubble nest and chase the female a bit. Sometimes the female will destroy the bubble nests until the male blows one he likes. They will begin to embrace when breeding finally happens. They will embrace, release eggs and sperm and then the male will swim to the bottom to collect the eggs, he will then put them in the nest. The female will stop moving inbetween these embraces. Other than the first introduction of the male and female, the second most important part to watch is the final egg laying. this is because if you don't remove the female after the eggs have been laid, the male will kill her in defense of the nest. remove the female from the tank but leave the male. the male will guard the nest for 3 days until the fry hatch. fry will be seen darting in and out of the bubble nest. keep the lights on during the 3 days, which will give you a higher survival rate for your fry. after 5 days, remove the male betta for he will then start eating the fry. the fry should be fed vinegar eels after they have used up their egg sack. after vinegar eels, they should be moved to micro worms or walter worms. walter worms survive longer in the aquarium but can be hard to find. Then you just wait for the fry to grow. It is also recommend to add indian almond leaves and a antifungal medication to the fry aquarium inorder to prevent die offs. The original male and female should be given something to heal their wounds inflicted upon them during breeding. After 4 weeks of waiting for the fry to grow up, the males will begin to get aggressive and will need to be removed. If your interested, i've bred other species of betta out there including some of the wild betta species if you want to here about those. They are more expensive, but these are much less aggressive and most can be kept in small shoals.

6. OP
    OP
    phantom

wow!!! this is above and beyond what I was hoping for, an extra thanks for taking the time to write this to help me

7. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

If you are a beginner, I wouldn't recommend breeding bettas. They can be difficult to breed and should be left to experienced hobbiests, imo. You need to be very knowledgeable and be very prepared for the work. If you are lucky you will end up with dozens of babies that need to be dealt with. That is tons of work and quite a bit of money. So think carefully if you actually want to attempt this.

8. OP
    OP
    phantom

ok thanks

9. D

Bettas are very easy to breed. They might require a little work but nothing more than anything else. You can also get a breeding set up for around $30. I highly disagree that they should be left to the experienced hobbiest.

10. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I would attempt with caution. My first attempt was a nightmare, and I've decided to wait a while before trying again. I lost two beautiful bettas that could have lived happy lives if not for my mistakes. Spend months doing research, and don't rush into it like me.

11. D

One of the things i forget to mention in my long post above is that you should have a realativley young pair. Many people try breeding with olders bettas which do lead to problems

12. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

Well that is your opinion.:) I have seen inexperienced hobbiests attempt to breed bettas and have failed. They have been left with dead or injured bettas because they didn't have enough experience and did not research well. That is just not fair to the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice