How Do I Avoid Breeding Fish...?

1. CPARKTX Member Member

I really don't want to deal with fry. What is a natural way to avoid having egg hatch, are there fish I can add that will eat fish eggs so I don't end up with fry?

I'm planning all non-live-bearers, and looking at fish like harlequin rapbora, cherry barbs, etc., which I understand will lay eggs readily.
  2. Cheesearmada Member Member

You can't really prevent a fish from laying eggs. I would just introduce some bottom feeders that could eat the eggs as soon as they fall to the bottom.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Get fish that don't breed in aquariums or do so very rarely.
  4. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

It is rare to have fry in a community tank. Don't get any fish that show parental care (cichlids e.g.) or killifish and you should be fine.

5. CPARKTX Member Member

Would Corys or shrimp eat eggs?
  6. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Corys have been know to eat eggs. Not so much the shrimp. I've also heard loaches are know for eating eggs
  7. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

You can get all males

8. California L33 Well Known Member Member

Whatever you do don't play any Barry White when the tank lights are off :cool:
  9. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

I was thinking that same thing but the fish he named are a bit hard to sex
  10. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

well then...we got a dilema

11. DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Just don't worry about the fry. Let the other fish eat them. IF you get fry you don't want most pet shops will take them off your hands.

However, Ive had tanks my whole life. Fish breeding isn't really as easy as youd think. Some fish like guppies and mollies will have fry like crazy, but for other fish they need perfect conditions. Community tanks aren't perfect conditions.