How Do I Add Amazon Swords Into My 20 Gallon?

1. wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

I have 2 fantail goldfish in a 20 gallon, I plan to move them into a larger tank when they grow out of it, but for now I would like to add some amazon swords into the tank. This is my first time adding live plants, do I just need to put the plant in the substrate and should I be fine? Do I need to "feed" the plant? Thanks for your replies!

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Don't add any plant with the goldfish. Once you remove the fish, all you have to do is make sure the roots are buried completely. I give mine API fertilizer every water change, and Seachem root tabs every 2-3 months.

3. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Goldfish will go after most plants, either to eat or dig around in. Mine pull up things all the time.
    You could plant and then surround the base with rocks - that might give your plants a chance to root and be more secure.

4. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

wapooshe Valued Member Member

any plants goldfish won't pick at?

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Java Fern are said to have a horrible taste and they cant be uprooted because you can just tie them to stuff. I think same goes for Anubias. I cant talk from experience because I have never kept goldfish but those are 2 plants usually suggested.

6. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

With goldfish I'd plant them deeply into the substrate and cover the area around them with 1-3" river stones.

Goldfish may very well pick st them, but no reason not to give it a go, the swords aren't poisonous and won't hurt the fish any. If they eat them try something else next time.

7. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The problem with swords is that if you planted them too deep, including the rhizome they can rot. If you really want swords I think its best to plant them normally but surround them with rocks so no uprooting can happen.

8. goplecos

Swords are soft leaved. Goldfish will eat them. Java Fern and Anubius are good, but I think Anubius looks better.

9. sfsamm

In my experience a full size sword as is what is generally found at the store would need about 2.5-3 inches of substrate to be buried too deeply. Not something to worry about in most unplanned aquariums, but thanks for pointing it out so OP doesn't have that issue :)
    Yes, most likely. Smaller goldfish as assumed with a 20 gallon tank may pick away slowly enough that the swords are able to maintain themselves. I could be wrong in this regard as I've not had any goldfish for the past 13 years but my last was just over a foot long when rehomed him and I was able to keep faster growing live plants with him for a while before he'd nub them to death, several weeks anyway.

10. goplecos

Small goldfish are surprisingly destructive. I had a 2 inch baby destroy a full sized Sword in my QT tank.

11. sfsamm

Hahaha THAT'S impressive lol good to know, is been so insanely long ago that I had juvi Goldies i hadn't a clue the juvies could be Luke that!