How Do Fish Rip Their Fins?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AllySaturn, Apr 9, 2017.

1. AllySaturn

AllySaturn Valued Member Member

MY Bettas fins were growing back after an issue with fake plants. Now he has more rips than before. Should I try aquarium salt or go right for a methaline blue bath? I do have a snail and that's why I'm hesitant. He has no fake stuff in his tank besides the heater, filter, and thermometer.

My new betta keeps hiding behind the filter. (I was smart by putting a bag around the intake) he also isn't eating. I tried pellets and worms. Could he be stressed? Is there anything I can do for him to help him through the transition?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    With clean water and good water parameters his fins should grow back nicely. Just make sure to monitor him during the healing process.

Since you just brought him home he is probably stressed and still adapting to his new home. Try giving him places to hide and some time to adapt, he should be fine in a couple of days.

3. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

His fins were healing!! And then POOF ripped again!! I don't know what is going on!! @Ed204

4. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Are there any other decorations in his tank?

5. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

6. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Go with aquarium salt, but I think clean water will help the best.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If they are very large beautiful fins and he came from a cup, they are tearing because he has never had a change to swim before. Kept in a cup, his oversized fins never really spread. In normal use, they have to tear.
    No wild fish ever had fins like that, and they are fragile.
    I would use clean water, and no meds.

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

@AllySaturn are you sure he isn't biting his fins? I've heard others mention their bettas will bite their own tails.

I would get some frozen brine shrimp and try that. You could also try soaking the pellets or worms in garlic to see if that enticed him to eat. I've been using the juice from my jarred mince garlic. Finnley loves it. Plus it boosts their immune system.

9. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

I wouldn't know why he'd be biting. If so what can I do for him? And I have garlic so I'll try tomorrow

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Garlic juice pollutes the water, and the anti-parasitic benefits are still debated. It's just organic wastes.
    Tail biting and tears on plants are widely believed in, but the fins do tear on their own. It's a side effect of fancy breeding, and how they are raised. I kept many Bettas, and even bred them, without ever seeing a single male bite his own fins. I don't doubt it can happen, but I doubt it's common.

12. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

I'm in bed ATM. I'll take one in the morning before my doc appointment. The last check was yesterday (I do one every other day) and it was PH 6.8-7 Ammonia .25 or less (probably less I'm just having sight problems ATM) nitrites 0 Nitrates 10 ish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice