How do b rams breathe?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prob seems like a silly question.... I was at a fish store today and they had cute little Bolivian rams. It's sort of a dream fish for me as a newbie to all this so I stared at them for awhile lol They were all moving there gills and opening and closing their mouths....is that how they breathe? it didn't look really rapid and they where poking around the tank and eating. It just got me wondering do different fish breathe in different ways? Were these babies ok ? A very cute bunch, I hope they were. All those who have or have had rams They are so cool, you all are fortunate to have them!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish extract oxygen from the water that runs over their gills. Don't know why they were opening their mouth that way.
Carol

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My GBR's like to swim. Around opening and closing their mouths sometimes. I have a pair, I've just always assumed it is normal behavior (I've had them for a few months). As for why they do it; I'm not sure. They are beautiful for sure.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they suck in water when they open their mouth with their gills closed, then they close their mouth and open their gills which forces water out through the gills and lets water flow over the gills so the fish can get oxygen. Many fish will breathe like this when they are stressed and need additional oxygen, or just if they are not swimming and do not have enough water flowing over their gills.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh maybe they were stressed or something like that :'( because they where doing it non stop as I watched them. I was wondering if it was normal for them to breathe that way because it didn't seem normal (well i only have zebra danios and they only did it to that extent when stressed but they are almost always on the move so I didn't know if it was normal for a slower fish). Hopefully they will be fine.

Last edited:

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just had a look at my pair of bolivian rams and my other solitary male and they were all breathing pretty much how you described, but only opening their mouthes very slightly, its hardly noticeable, and I assure you they aren't stressed but they were sitting still at the time so probably sucking in water as it wasn't moving through their bodys.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom