How did you pick your betta? (or any special wet pet, really)

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As I took (more) photos of Joey today, I was again marvelling at how he is the perfect betta and how lucky I got with him! I knew I wanted one that would be cool with other fish, since he is my first betta who gets tankmates, so when I was at the store I held up any potential ones to the guppy tank to see how they would react. Joey seemed perfect- he was interested but not angry. There were a few others who fit that description as well, and some who were more "my type", but I just got the best vibe off of this guy. Is that weird, to get good vibes from a fish? Anyways, that's how I picked out Joe, and I want to hear how you chose your special fish! Bettas or other individuals you picked for a specific reason.
IMG_5064.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG

Best Answer - View wolfdog01's answer

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The name "Orchid Betta" caught my eye, then his stripes & print made me instantly buy him! I named him Blu :)
20200222_231803.jpg
20200511_012107.jpg

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
redmare said:
Wow, he's stunning!
Thank you! He has developed alot more color the past 3 months. Your betta looks like a Mustard! They're gaint yellow fins are gorgeous as well!

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had 2 veil tail bettas as a kid. One in elementary school and another in middle school. They looked almost identical and I picked them out because my mom liked the way they looked lol.
When I was looking for my new betta, I was looking for a really unique one. I was deciding between a mustard betta and my current betta (he's my pfp). I've never seen a butterfly betta before and his colors amazed me, so I decided to get him. I feel so lucky to have him :)

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
julifhy said:
I've had 2 veil tail bettas as a kid. One in elementary school and another in middle school. They looked almost identical and I picked them out because my mom liked the way they looked lol.
When I was looking for my new betta, I was looking for a really unique one. I was deciding between a mustard betta and my current betta (he's my pfp). I've never seen a butterfly betta before and his colors amazed me, so I decided to get him. I feel so lucky to have him :)
I really love butterfly bettas! that's actually what I was looking for when I ended up with Joey

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I exclusively keep wet pets:
This is my boy Talos, named after the giant bronze guardian. He’s a copper rosetail betta.
08195432-DB6E-4CC3-8438-A5D161C5C622.png

If you saw him at the store, how could you NOT get him?

Here’s my big boy, Sushi. He’s a ryukin.
8A118A1D-B357-400A-BA1C-8DF782428AFD.jpeg

He has an interesting origin story. My sister got him as a senior gift from the swim team, but she didn’t want him. I did, and thus I began keeping fish, flying by the seat of my pants. I still have him and he got huge, so I must be doing something right.;)

Your betta’s a real looker, with an equally handsome personality. Good vibes only make sense.

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
WrenFeenix said:
I exclusively keep wet pets:
This is my boy Talos, named after the giant bronze guardian. He’s a copper rosetail betta.
08195432-DB6E-4CC3-8438-A5D161C5C622.png

If you saw him at the store, how could you NOT get him?

Here’s my big boy, Sushi. He’s a ryukin.
8A118A1D-B357-400A-BA1C-8DF782428AFD.jpeg

He has an interesting origin story. My sister got him as a senior gift from the swim team, but she didn’t want him. I did, and thus I began keeping fish, flying by the seat of my pants. I still have him and he got huge, so I must be doing something right.;)

Your betta’s a real looker, with an equally handsome personality. Good vibes only make sense.
They're both so pretty! I love ryukin goldies. I'd love to have one (or many) one day!

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
redmare said:
They're both so pretty! I love ryukin goldies. I'd love to have one (or many) one day!
Thank you! I guess I have a thing for gold fish.:D

Goldfish are easier to keep than bettas, but they get BIG. Ryukins especially. With no shortage of poo.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I’m choosing a breeding betta I select by form and coloring/patterns/certain color genes but when choosing just for pet purposes I go off personality.

Here’s my two non-breeders, both veiltails from PetCo and both over 2 years old now. :)

I turned their lights on to snag a quick picture so they’re both sleeping ;)
EE3A11C8-1295-4A33-BC6D-8EB8073A0438.jpeg
44A16D2E-9B07-40A3-A6E4-A450848B4A4B.jpeg

Under good light the female (Anemone) is a beautiful blue or a turquoise green, dspending on how she’s angled.
The boy is a shimmery navy color with his white patch on his head and magnificent lavender fins.

wolfdog01

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My first betta was a halfmoon, yellow pineapple boye. I got him because the girl at the petstore convinced me to get him. He was pretty chill and easy going.
After I got really into fishkeeping I decided I wanted a koi betta, they're still one of the most beautiful bettas to me. The way they change color and each one is so different looking from the next.
While I had the koi, a friend gave me her rosetail that she got tired of taking care of. I didn't really want this one but eh.
Finally, after both passed away, my last guy is a black crowntail, one that I also really wanted but I didn't buy. After realizing how little people care about their fish while working in a pet store, I decided to start rescuing bettas. There will always be one that I really want and I got lucky than one of my coworkers didn't want her betta or her overstocked tank. I took all the fish and rehomed them but kept the betta. His fins have grown back beautifully and he is a lot happier. Now I get free fish and get to save a life.20200508_191407.jpg20200508_191241.jpg

ValkyrieLips

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I always wanted a dragon scale betta, and I just picked one that looked kinda sad and in need of some TLC. He was also the biggest dragon scale, so I figured he must be the oldest and have been in crappy conditions for a while. I first named him Merlin, but he now goes by Mick (one of my fave characters on a TV show I like). He's a real tough guy who flares at his reflection and isn't afraid to swim right up to the gravel vac.

Mick.jpg

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got my boy because I loved the color of Mustard Gas Bettas, it's hard to choose at the pet store since they are in small cups and can't show that much personality. I have got to know him so well and he is such a character! I'm so glad I have him.
IMG_9526.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

IMG_9549.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9504 2.jpg

New Threads