How did you pick your betta? (or any special wet pet, really)

redmare

Active Member
Member
Messages
498
Reaction score
553
Location
Alberta, Canada- On the way to Ontario
Experience
5 years
As I took (more) photos of Joey today, I was again marvelling at how he is the perfect betta and how lucky I got with him! I knew I wanted one that would be cool with other fish, since he is my first betta who gets tankmates, so when I was at the store I held up any potential ones to the guppy tank to see how they would react. Joey seemed perfect- he was interested but not angry. There were a few others who fit that description as well, and some who were more "my type", but I just got the best vibe off of this guy. Is that weird, to get good vibes from a fish? Anyways, that's how I picked out Joe, and I want to hear how you chose your special fish! Bettas or other individuals you picked for a specific reason.
IMG_5064.JPG
IMG_4418.JPG
 
Best Answer - View wolfdog01's answer

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,627
Reaction score
1,756
Experience
4 years
The name "Orchid Betta" caught my eye, then his stripes & print made me instantly buy him! I named him Blu :)
20200222_231803.jpg
20200511_012107.jpg
 

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,627
Reaction score
1,756
Experience
4 years
redmare said:
Wow, he's stunning!
Thank you! He has developed alot more color the past 3 months. Your betta looks like a Mustard! They're gaint yellow fins are gorgeous as well!
 

julifhy

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,243
Reaction score
1,544
Location
Bay Area
Experience
Just started
I've had 2 veil tail bettas as a kid. One in elementary school and another in middle school. They looked almost identical and I picked them out because my mom liked the way they looked lol.
When I was looking for my new betta, I was looking for a really unique one. I was deciding between a mustard betta and my current betta (he's my pfp). I've never seen a butterfly betta before and his colors amazed me, so I decided to get him. I feel so lucky to have him :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
redmare

redmare

Active Member
Member
Messages
498
Reaction score
553
Location
Alberta, Canada- On the way to Ontario
Experience
5 years
julifhy said:
I've had 2 veil tail bettas as a kid. One in elementary school and another in middle school. They looked almost identical and I picked them out because my mom liked the way they looked lol.
When I was looking for my new betta, I was looking for a really unique one. I was deciding between a mustard betta and my current betta (he's my pfp). I've never seen a butterfly betta before and his colors amazed me, so I decided to get him. I feel so lucky to have him :)
I really love butterfly bettas! that's actually what I was looking for when I ended up with Joey
 

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Member
Messages
546
Reaction score
452
Location
Ohio, USA
Experience
5 years
I exclusively keep wet pets:
This is my boy Talos, named after the giant bronze guardian. He’s a copper rosetail betta.
08195432-DB6E-4CC3-8438-A5D161C5C622.png

If you saw him at the store, how could you NOT get him?

Here’s my big boy, Sushi. He’s a ryukin.
8A118A1D-B357-400A-BA1C-8DF782428AFD.jpeg

He has an interesting origin story. My sister got him as a senior gift from the swim team, but she didn’t want him. I did, and thus I began keeping fish, flying by the seat of my pants. I still have him and he got huge, so I must be doing something right.;)

Your betta’s a real looker, with an equally handsome personality. Good vibes only make sense.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
redmare

redmare

Active Member
Member
Messages
498
Reaction score
553
Location
Alberta, Canada- On the way to Ontario
Experience
5 years
WrenFeenix said:
I exclusively keep wet pets:
This is my boy Talos, named after the giant bronze guardian. He’s a copper rosetail betta.
08195432-DB6E-4CC3-8438-A5D161C5C622.png

If you saw him at the store, how could you NOT get him?

Here’s my big boy, Sushi. He’s a ryukin.
8A118A1D-B357-400A-BA1C-8DF782428AFD.jpeg

He has an interesting origin story. My sister got him as a senior gift from the swim team, but she didn’t want him. I did, and thus I began keeping fish, flying by the seat of my pants. I still have him and he got huge, so I must be doing something right.;)

Your betta’s a real looker, with an equally handsome personality. Good vibes only make sense.
They're both so pretty! I love ryukin goldies. I'd love to have one (or many) one day!
 

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Member
Messages
546
Reaction score
452
Location
Ohio, USA
Experience
5 years
redmare said:
They're both so pretty! I love ryukin goldies. I'd love to have one (or many) one day!
Thank you! I guess I have a thing for gold fish.:D

Goldfish are easier to keep than bettas, but they get BIG. Ryukins especially. With no shortage of poo.
 

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
1,453
Experience
2 years
If I’m choosing a breeding betta I select by form and coloring/patterns/certain color genes but when choosing just for pet purposes I go off personality.

Here’s my two non-breeders, both veiltails from PetCo and both over 2 years old now. :)

I turned their lights on to snag a quick picture so they’re both sleeping ;)
EE3A11C8-1295-4A33-BC6D-8EB8073A0438.jpeg
44A16D2E-9B07-40A3-A6E4-A450848B4A4B.jpeg


Under good light the female (Anemone) is a beautiful blue or a turquoise green, dspending on how she’s angled.
The boy is a shimmery navy color with his white patch on his head and magnificent lavender fins.
 

wolfdog01

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
767
Experience
5 years
My first betta was a halfmoon, yellow pineapple boye. I got him because the girl at the petstore convinced me to get him. He was pretty chill and easy going.
After I got really into fishkeeping I decided I wanted a koi betta, they're still one of the most beautiful bettas to me. The way they change color and each one is so different looking from the next.
While I had the koi, a friend gave me her rosetail that she got tired of taking care of. I didn't really want this one but eh.
Finally, after both passed away, my last guy is a black crowntail, one that I also really wanted but I didn't buy. After realizing how little people care about their fish while working in a pet store, I decided to start rescuing bettas. There will always be one that I really want and I got lucky than one of my coworkers didn't want her betta or her overstocked tank. I took all the fish and rehomed them but kept the betta. His fins have grown back beautifully and he is a lot happier. Now I get free fish and get to save a life.20200508_191407.jpg20200508_191241.jpg
 

ValkyrieLips

Active Member
Member
Messages
164
Reaction score
116
Experience
Just started
I always wanted a dragon scale betta, and I just picked one that looked kinda sad and in need of some TLC. He was also the biggest dragon scale, so I figured he must be the oldest and have been in crappy conditions for a while. I first named him Merlin, but he now goes by Mick (one of my fave characters on a TV show I like). He's a real tough guy who flares at his reflection and isn't afraid to swim right up to the gravel vac.


Mick.jpg
 

NBettas83

Well Known
Member
Messages
865
Reaction score
1,725
Location
Colorado, US
Experience
1 year
I got my boy because I loved the color of Mustard Gas Bettas, it's hard to choose at the pet store since they are in small cups and can't show that much personality. I have got to know him so well and he is such a character! I'm so glad I have him.
IMG_9526.jpg

IMG_9527.jpg

IMG_9549.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

IMG_9504 2.jpg
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
256
Guests online
3,660
Total visitors
3,916

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom