How Did You Get Into Fish Keeping?

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Decided I really really hated Architecture, became a Zoologist and Botanist instead. Led me to aquariums.

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike the fish keeper said:
I got into fish keeping because I won some goldfish at a fair. I wanted to hear other peoples stories and their first fish they keep
One day My friend and I visited a LFS. My friend bought a betta and I decided that I would too. Since then I developed an interest for fish keeping.

cichlidman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My mom started it . They had a 10 gallon . Then got a few more tanks as they upgraded . I was glued to the tanks

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got a betta on impulse. His name is Ares (he's my avatar). I got on here because of him and he hooked me on fish. Six zebra danios, another male betta, twenty pygmy sunfish, 100+ guppies (some will be going away soon, my guppies dropped fry), and a cycling sorority later...

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've always had an affinity for animals of all shapes, sizes, and habitats. Yes I was that weird guy who just loved animals (but i wasn't really that weird, lol). Never really had any interest in fish, although my dad had been keeping fish for something like 20 years by this time. I have a good sized collection of books on animals, all types fish included, but i never really read the fish ones, i just had them.
Well one day i couldn't sleep at all, like 3 in the morning with school the next day but no sleep, not even tired. So i said what the heck and read a book on angelfish. I soon realized that very night that i just needed to have an aquarium. Went to my closet and grabbed like 3 more fish books and read them all before falling asleep.
Next morning told my dad you basically said no. He had literally just quit fish keeping and didn't want to deal with me keeping fish. Long story short I ended up with a betta, but i didn't really want him he was just given to me by suprise and i was very unprepared (did someone say an unfiltered 1 gallon?).
That led to a 20 gallon and what i consider to be my true first fish, 2-4 inch dojo loaches.
Now something like 6 years later I've got a 75 gallon in my bedroom with a 8-9inch 5 star general cichlid.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Daughter gave us a tank in late October.

Now we have 6 tanks, 5 which are running.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The dump in my town has an area where they sell stuff that's not trash but that people don't want, and one day my fiancé bought two 5g tanks from there. I didn't even want them. We filled them with walmart fish - goldfish, plecos (yes plural), tiger barbs, random tetras, cories, an angel... it was terrible. So of course we bought two 10 gallon's. Then a pictus cat. Then I found fishlore, lol. Within a month it escalated to two 55 gallon's, two 29 gallon's, a 20 gallon, a 15g, the two 10 gallon's and two 5g's (which became a betta tank and a shrimp tank).

My fiancé decided shortly after that he doesn't really care much for fish - he didn't know what fishkeeping entails and now thinks I'm crazy. I've downsized quite a bit since then, as I'm the only one who maintains the tanks and I also have four needy, troublemaking parrots to keep up with - and my fiancé wasn't thrilled about the amount of space all my tanks and bird cages take up. I'm down to one 55 gallon, one 29 gallon, one 15g and I still have a 5g set up that I was using as a quarantine, but I'm planning on breaking it down and just keeping an extra small filter running in case I need to use it for a QT again. I bought this really cool one gallon "fish bowl" off eBay that hangs on the wall and looks like a bubble and that's where my shrimp live now - it's not a fish tank, it's wall art, therefore he can't add it into my tank total when he nags about the fish

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Watching a TV show called Tanked because of boredom and set up old fish tank and bought fish two months later.

Bettanewb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I decided I wanted to "save" a gold fish from a fair last summer. Obviously the poor thing didn't make it.

I found this site researched and researched some more. An now I am completely in love with this hobby.

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My uncle left his 20 gallon setup at my grandparents house when he moved out, 20+ years later I found it in my grandparents basement when i was 10 (now 30) and took it home and setup it up....all equipment was from the 1970's and everything still worked. kept tanks ever since

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My then 5 year old wanted a tank for his birthday. Only a month in to the 5 gallon, I upgraded to a 36 bowfront and the rest is history.

Ironically, the neighbor next door was going to give me his 55 gallon hex set up just 6 months before and I turned it down.... If I had only known................ Now 7 years later, its MY hobby and my son is not very interested! LOL

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I saw Finding Nemo when I was about 4, wanted a clownfish, decided that a clownfish wasn't good enough for our salad bowl, and then kept a minnow in it.

For proper fishkeeping (when I was about 7/8ish), I saw a betta ridden with ich at PetCo, told the employee that it was't happy, and then bought it.

chickenghost

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wanted a pet, and it was the only one my mom would get me. I had a 10 gallon, and was super inexperienced, making tons of beginner mistakes. eventually I learned better

Jennywren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What a great thread! I got into fish because my grad school apartment complex didn't allow most pets, and I came across a five gallon hex kit at a thrift store. I bought three guppies with no idea how to care for them (so bad!) and rapidly learned how much I needed to learn. Those early fish didn't make it, but I hope by now I've become a responsible aquarist.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1999 - We had an small, old, broken down boat that we wanted nothing to do with anymore. A friend had a 55 gallon SW setup with necessary equipment (canister filter, sump, protein skimmer) as well as live rock, sand and on yellow tang. He wanted nothing to do with the tank anymore, so we made a trade and, for us, a good one at that. Trading a boat for a tank, lol, I'm thinking this may be unusual but not in the FL Keys.

We made plenty of mistakes with that tank but kept several nice fish alive. Had to get rid of it when we moved and it's been a long time but we are finally back in the hobby again with 2 freshwater tanks and plans in the works for a nano SW.

Asaflame

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
so I'm 13 and I wanted piranhas really badly due to the steryotype which I believed in. Well I did research like a lot. I learned the truth about the fish. Then I moved onto large cichlids I wanted an Oscar. So on Christmas my family got my a 75 gallon tank and a 20 gallon quarantine so I was happy. Got them both cycled and got my Oscar. He died in the bag on the way from my lfs so I got a jack dmepsey and a convict cichlid then a severum and they all basically love me that was my stocking in January. I still have yet to get those piranhas

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom