How did y'all cycle your tank?

Hannah1064

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many ways there are to cycle a time for the first time. I'm about to set up a new tank and any advice would be helpful :)

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used the classic fishless cycle system of putting in an ammonia source and just waiting. I used the fritz pro powder (wouldn't recommend for anything smaller than a 20 gallon though, learned that the hard way). Took about 4 weeks I think. The only challenge was I didn't do any water changes for a while (I thought it wold crash the cycle) and the nitrates got stupid high so I had to drain it I think it 4 or 5 times.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am going to forget some things so I would wait for other comments.
You can do a fish in cycle(usually with low stock), a fishless cycle using an ammonia source such as bottled ammonia, fish food, a piece of raw shrimp, stuff like that. In addition to having a fishless or fish in cycle you can seed the tank using bottled bacteria(some don't believe that it works) or existing media. Already cycled media is the best way though. Again I'm no guru on cycling so I would wait for more knowledgable people.
Edit: I did fish in cycling and to be honest I don't regret it. Most of the time its a lot more work though, but you don't have to mess with dosing ammonia.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I believe there are 2 major ways: fishless cycle and fish in cycle. I recommend fishless cycle because your fish won't be affected with ammonia poisoning and etc if you do a fish in cycle. Add dechlorinated water into your tank and add an ammonia source: fish food, fish waste, etc. Your ammonia will rise and will not transfer to nitrates and nitrites because you don't have a BB. Takes a few days to weeks for them to grow. Cloudy water is a good sign.

*You can also jump start the process if you have a seeded filter from your old tank or someone who has an established tank.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a safe start kit and doing a fishless cycle. Does anyone know how long it would take for it to cycle a 10 gallon tank? I'm thinking 2 ish weeks maybe?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hannah1064 said:
I was thinking about buying a safe start kit and doing a fishless cycle. Does anyone know how long it would take for it to cycle a 10 gallon tank? I'm thinking 2 ish weeks maybe?
Maybe a week for the first few BB to appear... it depends on the tank. Cloudy water is a sign that there is beneficial bacteria growth.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Well that depends. Usually I would expect at least 2 weeks, don't be too surprised if it takes 3-4 though.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish-In. Transferred media, stocked lightly, kept up with water changes.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hannah1064 said:
Mine took about 4. It depends on whether or not the bottled bacteria works for you.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish store provided some old media for my filter. The female bn pleco i have was my very first fish in my uncycle tank.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
when i first got into fish i didnt know ant the nitrogen cycle so i did a fish in cycle with some goldfish, then i did research and by that point my tank was cycled so i was good! at that point i learned how to maintain that cycle

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
If I did do a fish in cycle would guppies be an okay fish to do that with?

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
Hannah1064 said:
personally i wouldnt do a fish in cycle just bc its bad for the fish. but if i were to choose a fish for it i would do zebra danios or a goldfish. the ammonia and nitrites are toxic to the fish so id just recommend doing a fish out cycle

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
idkausernamesoyeah said:
personally i wouldnt do a fish in cycle just bc its bad for the fish. but if i were to choose a fish for it i would do zebra danios or a goldfish. the ammonia and nitrites are toxic to the fish so id just recommend doing a fish out cycle
Okay, yeah I'm also worried about the effect it could have on the fish. I am almost positive that I'm going to do a fishless cycle but I was wondering.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Guppies would be fine, not my favorite fish for a few reasons but I cycled my tank with them successfully.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
bgntoc said:
Guppies would be fine, not my favorite fish for a few reasons but I cycled my tank with them successfully.
Is there something bad about them or is it just a personal preference?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hannah1064 said:
Is there something bad about them or is it just a personal preference?
This is just my opinion but a lot of them are more inbred; they're still pretty hardy but sometimes come with health issues. I guess that applies to a lot of fish but with guppies I think its more common. They are beautiful though.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you are going to do a fish cycle with a disposable fish you might as well as use feeders. They are ultra cheap and if you don't use them to cycle your tank they will end up in someone stomach.

New Threads