How deep to make substrate for Anubias Nana?

Breelarallen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today I’m gonna start putting together a 5 gallon tank for a betta fish and it’s my first real attempt at a planted tank. I’m gonna buy Anubias Nana and Anacharis for the tank. I’m gonna let the Anacharis float at the surface, but I’d like to plant the Anubias Nana in the substrate. I’ve read that a lot of people like tying their Anubias Nana to rocks and driftwood, but I think I’d prefer it in the substrate. So with that said...how deep should I make the substrate? (Also I’m aware that the rhyzome of the Anubias Nana shouldn’t be buried)

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The reason most tie anubias to hardscape is that it is a rhizome plant, and that rhizome must not be buried or it will rot, killing the plant. So, when putting anubias in the substrate, we must be very careful to only bury the thin roots. This doesn't usually secure the plant very well though and an unstable plant, (one who's roots move around a lot) will have slower root growth. Being that this particular plant is a very slow grower anyway, well, we wouldn't want to further slow it. However, ;) I have a solution for keeping anubius on the ground without burying it so deep that you risk loss of the plant.

Do you know what plastic canvas is? It may go by another name but that's how I've always known it. This stuff...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Darice-10-5-x-13-5-Clear-Mesh-Plastic-Canvas-6-Count/36246080?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2727&adid=22222222227026546840&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42976311512&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-81468439232&wl5=9011873&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=36246080&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0brtBRDOARIsANMDykY7n2mpRDPrnlPx3CP9JZdilqgdj31TaftikYR83lmlLXbczhhcf9saAnzCEALw_wcB
Cut a small square of plastic canvas then very carefully thread your anubias roots through the grid, securing it. Be sure to leave the rhizome 1/2 - 1 inch above the canvas. Now, you can bury the canvas under your substrate, leaving the rhizome above, and the plant will be much less likely to come uprooted or move around as much as it would if you had buried the roots alone.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The anubias will sprout roots, but they won't necessarily work themselves into the substrate. You can force them into the substrate if you want to (taking care not to bury the rhizome, as you mentioned). They don't 'need' any particular depth of substrate though. Mine tend to spread roots sideways (as opposed to down) and attach themselves to whatever hardscape is nearby. :) Hope that helps!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a bunch of anubias nana and petite in my 5.5g. I don't have any fish, only some snails, so I just rested the plants on the substrate and the roots anchored into the substrate. They are about 1/2 inch to an inch off the substrate.
Here's a pic for you to see
20190127_145256.jpg

In my 90g, I just fit them into the eyes of an artificial skull. I have 3 BN plecos and it's still growing the nicely 2 years later. Or I'll fit them into a wood cranny.

For a smaller tank (if your betta tank is smaller), I like guppy grass instead of anacharis because it is so big. Guppy grass would be nice for your betta as well ;)
Guppy grass Google pic

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom