How deep into the hobby were you before you set up your quarantine tank?

jiorio1216

Hello everyone. I got into the hobby right before the quarantine started in NJ...and I have learned something everyday truly. I have a 55 gallon and 20 gallon both cycled. In my 55 I have a honey Gourami (I did have two but one died of swim bladder I am pretty sure). I have 6 peppered cories I bought 4 days ago and they are all doing great (so far). And I also have 3 cories ( I did have 4 but I lost one). I was an idiot, and learned about quarantining after I bought all these fish. Now I am constantly wondering if the deaths of those fish had something to do with a parasite or something and it is just brewing in my tank. I finally have my QT set up for any new fish I get...but I want to keep all the ones I have for atleast another 3 weeks to make sure they are safe. I feel stupid for not doing this, and was wondering how long it took all of you to set up a QT. Did you get lucky for awhile and realize it wasn’t worth the risk....or did something catastrophic happen, and how long did it take for that to occur? Hoping all my fish make it...

CrayfishAreAwesome

ive recently set up one, but the black crystal shrimp in QT lasted a day before 1/2 of the 4 died, and now the QT tank is COVERED in some type of fungus.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

ive recently set up one, but the black crystal shrimp in QT lasted a day before 1/2 of the 4 died, and now the QT tank is COVERED in some type of fungus.
Oh man! I don’t have much interest in shrimp, but if I did...I would never even think to QT them. Good to know if that day ever comes.

Fisheye

Well Known
Once I broke down my Fluval Edge with the top removed, it has been on standby QT for just in case, but so far so good. So maybe a couple of years in? I used to keep a sponge filter sponge in my cannister but abandoned that as it wasn't needed.

I just think it's good to have some kind of fish safe waterproof box at the ready for just in case.

PS: by mistake hit the downvote button and hopefully corrected with an upvote click. Sorry if anyone got a notification. PM me and I'll fix it for real. I'm not liking the arrows so close to the Like button...or at all!

MissPanda

Well Known
Ive owned aquariums my whole life off and on and only recently started quarantining fish. It was after an ich outbreak and that wasn't that long ago. It was too much of a headache to deal with and I'm busy. I'd rather stuff them in a QT for a month and if something goes awry it doesn't take down the whole tank. I have inverts and sensitive plants. I'd rather be patient and not have to deal with that whole mess and stress again.

yukondog

Well Known
Fisheye that may have been mine, I got a down vote at 8:29 pm, if it was dont worry about it all is good.

Fisheye

Well Known
OMG! On this thread, right? Did it change-I know I hit the up button right away so thought it would cancel out. Do I contact the Mods? I'm so embarrassed. Thank you for being so nice about it but I will do whatever it takes to change it.

Liv2011

I started quarantining four years in, when I finally set up an adequately-sized goldfish tank. That would’ve been in 2015.
At first it was a three gallon, but I use a ten gallon now. I’ll be quarantining a lot of fish over the next several months, so there’s not much danger of it mysteriously becoming a permanent setup just yet.
Every single bunch of neon tetras I have ever bought has had ich during quarantine. The first two bunches a few years ago were completely wiped out. The last bunch (a couple months ago) looked great for the first week before getting spots. I managed to cure the ich within another week, but one died of dropsy and two others died because....reasons, I guess.
So, yeah, I am not taking the risk of skipping quarantining.

Dennis57

Well Known
Yep. Bit the heads off and ate them. 5 in under a minute and a half
That's crazy. I have 4 large adult Angels in a tank with 12 neons, and 8 rummynose and no one bothers them.

KSo

The tote idea is great! Never thought about that, it’ll definitely keep my MTS in check!

Liv2011

Oh no. If I used a tub/tote for a quarantine, I’d have my current quarantine tank sitting empty, and I can’t abide an empty tank....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Virgo

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Members need 50 posts to use the buy, sell, trade forum. 50 posts are needed to use the private message conversation system too.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom