How deep into the hobby were you before you set up your quarantine tank?

jiorio1216

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I got into the hobby right before the quarantine started in NJ...and I have learned something everyday truly. I have a 55 gallon and 20 gallon both cycled. In my 55 I have a honey Gourami (I did have two but one died of swim bladder I am pretty sure). I have 6 peppered cories I bought 4 days ago and they are all doing great (so far). And I also have 3 cories ( I did have 4 but I lost one). I was an idiot, and learned about quarantining after I bought all these fish. Now I am constantly wondering if the deaths of those fish had something to do with a parasite or something and it is just brewing in my tank. I finally have my QT set up for any new fish I get...but I want to keep all the ones I have for atleast another 3 weeks to make sure they are safe. I feel stupid for not doing this, and was wondering how long it took all of you to set up a QT. Did you get lucky for awhile and realize it wasn’t worth the risk....or did something catastrophic happen, and how long did it take for that to occur? Hoping all my fish make it...

Best Answer - View 86 ssinit's answer

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm almost 3 years in....still do not have one.
If something happens to one in the tank they all get the meds.
When I get new guys i float the bag for about 20 mins. then let them loose.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Started the hobby about a year ago and I still don't have a quarantine tank. I really want to get one running but I don't have the time, money, or room for it. I float the bag in the tank for 20-25 minutes and net the fish into the tank.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
Started the hobby about a year ago and I still don't have a quarantine tank. I really want to get one running but I don't have the time, money, or room for it. I float the bag in the tank for 20-25 minutes and net the fish into the tank.
Never had an issue before? What kind of fish do you keep?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Funny thing I’ve learned with qt tanks. You can’t have them running. You end up putting fish in it. At first you say to keep the cycle going. Than you get some more fish and you say well it is a qt tank and in they go. Than you buy some more and say Wait I’ve got to set up another qt tank before I put them in the old qt tank. Around 5 tanks in I now stopped filling the qt tank :). Keep it empty!! MTS is sneaky!!

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not bought alot of fish. But no qt. That being said I am about to turn a 20g into saltwater qt. I want to say that I don't need to medicate but let's be serious saltwater ich is a pain from what I hear. One week life cycle in freshwater. 76 days in saltwater. Cannot treat with rocks. So only way I can hope to not have large issues is qt with copper.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been in this hobby for many years and I've never set up a QT. Maybe I have just been fortunate that I've never brought a disease into my tanks. The fish I got just a couple of weeks ago didn't go straight into my main tank though. I put them in the tank I had just pulled my pleco fry out of. I didn't do it to quarantine them though. They are not much bigger than fry so I wanted to let them grow out a bit before putting them in the main tank. I can feed them several times a day in this tank without over feeding the adult fish in the main tank. Again I was fortunate because none of these little guys are sick and they are growing like weeds.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
I've been in this hobby for many years and I've never set up a QT. Maybe I have just been fortunate that I've never brought a disease into my tanks. The fish I got just a couple of weeks ago didn't go straight into my main tank though. I put them in the tank I had just pulled my pleco fry out of. I didn't do it to quarantine them though. They are not much bigger than fry so I wanted to let them grow out a bit before putting them in the main tank. I can feed them several times a day in this tank without over feeding the adult fish in the main tank. Again I was fortunate because none of these little guys are sick and they are growing like weeds.
Wow that is crazy to me. I feel like all I see on here/when I read about stuff is sick fish and how to treat it. I have just put so much money into this hobby in a short amount of time, and would hate to see it all go down the drain.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
jiorio1216 said:
Wow that is crazy to me. I feel like all I see on here/when I read about stuff is sick fish and how to treat it. I have just put so much money into this hobby in a short amount of time, and would hate to see it all go down the drain.
I would hate to see that happen to you too. I have to think for every one that comes here with sick fish there are lots of others that never have to deal with sick fish. Those that do, come to us for help. If there is no problem they don't start looking for help and we never get the chance to meet them.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jiorio1216 said:
I've only ever lose one fish to illness...my dojo loach :( poor dudes face rotted off and he died...all the others that have perished have been due to other fish...which I will add now knowing better....watch which ones are bullies and which ones play nice lol

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jiorio1216 said:
Yes. I personally don't quarantine, but if you are easily able to I highly suggest it. It would be terrible to put so much work into a spectacular tank, only to introduce disease, especially if the existing fish(and plants) were really expensive.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have a QT tank but i have a guppy tank. High risk fishes go into the guppy tank for a month before being transferred to their final destination. Rather wipe out the guppies than wipe out the clowns and angels. After getting a diseased otto (bacteria infection that wiped out a tank) ALL otto i buy visit the guppies for a month.

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I run a sponge filter for bb in my main tank and use a plastic tub for qt
Didnt do any quarantine until my whole tank got tb a few years back

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive been in and out the hobby for 40 years, and never had a qt. Ive had multiple tanks at one time, but never a qt.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thing is you have to know where your buying from and study the fish before you buy. Allways pick your fish. Don’t let them pick for you. So with my regular store only a few fish were quarantined over the years. Usually fish I wanted that didn’t look good. But that store has closed its fish room for a rebuild 6months ago. So I’m only buying fish I really want now and they go into lesser tanks first.
Buying anything online I would recommend a Qt tank. You have no clue as to what your getting and the shipping stresses them out. So qt helps them and in the long run you.
These days there is so much illness at the wholesalers. Stuff we don’t even know what it is. Sad to say but it’s so much better to see all your new fish mysteriously die in qt than all your fish in your main tank dying.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Over 40 years of keeping fish with 4-6 tanks running and never set up a QT tank. The only time I had a problem is about 3 months ago, 1 of my 4 Angels has Cancer. I am still not sure what to do, her belly is getting huge.

Still swimming around and eating fine so I believe in

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Off topic but I am curious how you know it is cancer ?

Dennis57 said:
Over 40 years of keeping fish with 4-6 tanks running and never set up a QT tank. The only time I had a problem is about 3 months ago, 1 of my 4 Angels has Cancer. I am still not sure what to do, her belly is getting huge.

Still swimming around and eating fine so I believe in

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
Off topic but I am curious how you know it is cancer ?
I contacted wetwebmedia, explained to them what was going on and submitted photos, they told me to feel her stomach to see if it was hard or soft. I also asked the 1 LFS that I use a lot, and they also said the same thing.

New Threads