How deep into the hobby were you before you set up your quarantine tank?

jiorio1216

Hello everyone. I got into the hobby right before the quarantine started in NJ...and I have learned something everyday truly. I have a 55 gallon and 20 gallon both cycled. In my 55 I have a honey Gourami (I did have two but one died of swim bladder I am pretty sure). I have 6 peppered cories I bought 4 days ago and they are all doing great (so far). And I also have 3 cories ( I did have 4 but I lost one). I was an idiot, and learned about quarantining after I bought all these fish. Now I am constantly wondering if the deaths of those fish had something to do with a parasite or something and it is just brewing in my tank. I finally have my QT set up for any new fish I get...but I want to keep all the ones I have for atleast another 3 weeks to make sure they are safe. I feel stupid for not doing this, and was wondering how long it took all of you to set up a QT. Did you get lucky for awhile and realize it wasn’t worth the risk....or did something catastrophic happen, and how long did it take for that to occur? Hoping all my fish make it...

Wrench

Well Known
I'm almost 3 years in....still do not have one.
If something happens to one in the tank they all get the meds.
When I get new guys i float the bag for about 20 mins. then let them loose.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Started the hobby about a year ago and I still don't have a quarantine tank. I really want to get one running but I don't have the time, money, or room for it. I float the bag in the tank for 20-25 minutes and net the fish into the tank.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Started the hobby about a year ago and I still don't have a quarantine tank. I really want to get one running but I don't have the time, money, or room for it. I float the bag in the tank for 20-25 minutes and net the fish into the tank.
Never had an issue before? What kind of fish do you keep?

86 ssinit

Fishlore Legend
Funny thing I’ve learned with qt tanks. You can’t have them running. You end up putting fish in it. At first you say to keep the cycle going. Than you get some more fish and you say well it is a qt tank and in they go. Than you buy some more and say Wait I’ve got to set up another qt tank before I put them in the old qt tank. Around 5 tanks in I now stopped filling the qt tank . Keep it empty!! MTS is sneaky!!

Rcslade124

Well Known
Not bought alot of fish. But no qt. That being said I am about to turn a 20g into saltwater qt. I want to say that I don't need to medicate but let's be serious saltwater ich is a pain from what I hear. One week life cycle in freshwater. 76 days in saltwater. Cannot treat with rocks. So only way I can hope to not have large issues is qt with copper.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I've been in this hobby for many years and I've never set up a QT. Maybe I have just been fortunate that I've never brought a disease into my tanks. The fish I got just a couple of weeks ago didn't go straight into my main tank though. I put them in the tank I had just pulled my pleco fry out of. I didn't do it to quarantine them though. They are not much bigger than fry so I wanted to let them grow out a bit before putting them in the main tank. I can feed them several times a day in this tank without over feeding the adult fish in the main tank. Again I was fortunate because none of these little guys are sick and they are growing like weeds.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

I've been in this hobby for many years and I've never set up a QT. Maybe I have just been fortunate that I've never brought a disease into my tanks. The fish I got just a couple of weeks ago didn't go straight into my main tank though. I put them in the tank I had just pulled my pleco fry out of. I didn't do it to quarantine them though. They are not much bigger than fry so I wanted to let them grow out a bit before putting them in the main tank. I can feed them several times a day in this tank without over feeding the adult fish in the main tank. Again I was fortunate because none of these little guys are sick and they are growing like weeds.
Wow that is crazy to me. I feel like all I see on here/when I read about stuff is sick fish and how to treat it. I have just put so much money into this hobby in a short amount of time, and would hate to see it all go down the drain.

yukondog

Well Known
About three weeks after my first tank, I always have a extra sponge filter or two ready to set up a QT when needed.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Wow that is crazy to me. I feel like all I see on here/when I read about stuff is sick fish and how to treat it. I have just put so much money into this hobby in a short amount of time, and would hate to see it all go down the drain.
I would hate to see that happen to you too. I have to think for every one that comes here with sick fish there are lots of others that never have to deal with sick fish. Those that do, come to us for help. If there is no problem they don't start looking for help and we never get the chance to meet them.

Wrench

Well Known
I've only ever lose one fish to illness...my dojo loach poor dudes face rotted off and he died...all the others that have perished have been due to other fish...which I will add now knowing better....watch which ones are bullies and which ones play nice lol

flyinGourami

Well Known
Yes. I personally don't quarantine, but if you are easily able to I highly suggest it. It would be terrible to put so much work into a spectacular tank, only to introduce disease, especially if the existing fish(and plants) were really expensive.

KinderScout

Well Known
LOL it's still in the attic after 12 months....

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I don't have a QT tank but i have a guppy tank. High risk fishes go into the guppy tank for a month before being transferred to their final destination. Rather wipe out the guppies than wipe out the clowns and angels. After getting a diseased otto (bacteria infection that wiped out a tank) ALL otto i buy visit the guppies for a month.

JuiceBox52

I run a sponge filter for bb in my main tank and use a plastic tub for qt
Didnt do any quarantine until my whole tank got tb a few years back

BluMan1914

Well Known
Ive been in and out the hobby for 40 years, and never had a qt. Ive had multiple tanks at one time, but never a qt.

86 ssinit

Fishlore Legend
Thing is you have to know where your buying from and study the fish before you buy. Allways pick your fish. Don’t let them pick for you. So with my regular store only a few fish were quarantined over the years. Usually fish I wanted that didn’t look good. But that store has closed its fish room for a rebuild 6months ago. So I’m only buying fish I really want now and they go into lesser tanks first.
Buying anything online I would recommend a Qt tank. You have no clue as to what your getting and the shipping stresses them out. So qt helps them and in the long run you.
These days there is so much illness at the wholesalers. Stuff we don’t even know what it is. Sad to say but it’s so much better to see all your new fish mysteriously die in qt than all your fish in your main tank dying.

Dennis57

Well Known
Over 40 years of keeping fish with 4-6 tanks running and never set up a QT tank. The only time I had a problem is about 3 months ago, 1 of my 4 Angels has Cancer. I am still not sure what to do, her belly is getting huge.

Still swimming around and eating fine so I believe in

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Off topic but I am curious how you know it is cancer ?

Over 40 years of keeping fish with 4-6 tanks running and never set up a QT tank. The only time I had a problem is about 3 months ago, 1 of my 4 Angels has Cancer. I am still not sure what to do, her belly is getting huge.

Dennis57

Well Known
Off topic but I am curious how you know it is cancer ?
I contacted wetwebmedia, explained to them what was going on and submitted photos, they told me to feel her stomach to see if it was hard or soft. I also asked the 1 LFS that I use a lot, and they also said the same thing.

Kate22Fish

2 years in and i never had a quarantine tank. I trust the fish store i go to that there fine and healthy

Sarafike

Hello everyone. I got into the hobby right before the quarantine started in NJ...and I have learned something everyday truly. I have a 55 gallon and 20 gallon both cycled. In my 55 I have a honey Gourami (I did have two but one died of swim bladder I am pretty sure). I have 6 peppered cories I bought 4 days ago and they are all doing great (so far). And I also have 3 cories ( I did have 4 but I lost one). I was an idiot, and learned about quarantining after I bought all these fish. Now I am constantly wondering if the deaths of those fish had something to do with a parasite or something and it is just brewing in my tank. I finally have my QT set up for any new fish I get...but I want to keep all the ones I have for atleast another 3 weeks to make sure they are safe. I feel stupid for not doing this, and was wondering how long it took all of you to set up a QT. Did you get lucky for awhile and realize it wasn’t worth the risk....or did something catastrophic happen, and how long did it take for that to occur? Hoping all my fish make it...
If you're really concerned about a parasite of sorts, maybe do a water test (or have a pet store test for free). Not entirely sure if that can help, but it helped me when trying to figure out why my goldfish suddenly died.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Tank wiped once-shame the fish
tank wiped twice, shame on you, get a quarantine tank.

I have had a temporary tank set up as quarantine. Granted it was me just moving the betta out of his tank then moving the other fish in.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Never had an issue before? What kind of fish do you keep?
I had one molly in a 10 gallon (yes, I know, they need a bigger tank) and I added four corys (another beginner mistake) so I haven't really had any issues yet, but probably will farther down the road when I upgrade my tank and add more fish.

UnknownUser

Well Known
When I first started I got 4 fish. From petco. Oof. Those fish had so many diseases, the whole tank was infected. I waited til I hoped the diseases were gone. Got new fish. Same disease(s), like, probably at least 3 different diseases according to my LFS. Bombed the tank with $50+ of kanaplex, metroplex, furan2, whatever the LFS had really. New fish did fine after that. Still no QT (didn’t have the capability to put up a completely running and cycled 2nd tank in a dorm room). Got a new fish from LFS. Killed both my guppies and itself. Then I learned you can QT in a $5 plastic tub and insta-cycle with a sponge. So that’s what I did. After adding corys from QT and then harlequinns from another QT, I am happy to say I haven’t lost any more fish. And the corys and quinns were all from petco. I will never risk my fish again.

KSo

Answer: Still pending lol

I have never had a QT tank in my past, and now that I know better, I’m just waiting to have the space and time to set one up. I really just need to find a 5 or 10 g, I have everything else ready to go, but I just haven’t been able to get it going due to work and the weird hours at the stores now due to shutdown. What we have been doing is only purchasing fish from one lfs - he has an impressive quarantine system in place for his livestock (entire second floor is QT tanks. So far we have been very fortunate. We have a cycled 3.5g now awaiting delivery of shrimp, but again we are putting them by themselves and from one vendor, (AquaHuna).

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
I would hate to see that happen to you too. I have to think for every one that comes here with sick fish there are lots of others that never have to deal with sick fish. Those that do, come to us for help. If there is no problem they don't start looking for help and we never get the chance to meet them.
Idk but i'll tell you i'm at 50% for sick fish and healthy fish. Maybe less. That's in the 15 years I've been keeping fish. I CANNOT physically do it. It makes me feel sick to put an unQT'd fish in my main tanks. No way, never. I've seen ich, anchor worm, camallanus worm, columnaris, lymphocystis, aromonas bacteria. And I barely buy new fish, mostly they are my own fish born in my tanks. Yeah, it's less than 50% chance I got a healthy fish ever.

I started QTing pretty much right away. As soon as got a second tank. My red phantoms came in with ich.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

On the topic of angels...I would love to have one in my 55 gallon community...is that possible? I have a honey Gourami and 9 cories now. I am probably going to get 3 more cories and two schools of 12 of rummy nose and harlequins. Would a juvie angel be okay in my tank to grow up in... I don’t have a clue how to deal with fish aggression but am dying to have an angel in there.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Depends on what I'm doing and what I have coming in. I set up quarantine tanks on the fly, so I keep extra seeded sponges in my community tanks for starting new tanks or if I ever need to start the quarantine tank up. Lately I mostly have been focused on bettas which live alone so they quarantine in their own tanks.

I also weigh my risks too. For example, when I was stocking my community tank I didn't quarantine each time but the fish were coming from a really reputable place and I didn't have a lot of fish in the tank at risk (I only had a small school of barbs at that time).

I just reset up a quarantine tank but that's also because I have 14 fish and 12 snails on the way currently. 2 are male bettas so they'll quarantine on their own but the others will be going to a variety of tanks and I didn't want to risk the stock in all of them.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
On the topic of angels...I would love to have one in my 55 gallon community...is that possible? I have a honey Gourami and 9 cories now. I am probably going to get 3 more cories and two schools of 12 of rummy nose and harlequins. Would a juvie angel be okay in my tank to grow up in... I don’t have a clue how to deal with fish aggression but am dying to have an angel in there.
Maybe.... i'm just not sure about the honey gourami. And the angel may eat the rummynose when it matures, but hopefully not if it grows up with them. They prefer to be in groups, but I personally don't mind a solo angel as long as they have tankmates, enough room and lots of mental stimulation (you playing with him). But I 100% believe in QT! I just lost 7 young angels to aeromonas bacteria that they just couldn't kick.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
I should also add value of the fish really is a deciding factor. When I just had a 10g or when I upgraded to my first 29 but only had one tank I wasn't really keeping expensive fish. Once I started keeping multiple tanks and started having interest in more expensive fish was when I started keeping a QT for back up. Again tho, I don't keep mine running all the time.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
For me I feel it's not fair to my healthy fish to expose them to all sorts of parasites and pathogens. After QTing all of them and making sure they are healthy it seems counter intuitive to put them at risk every time I get a new fish. Plus I don't believe in meditating all the fish bc one gets ill. If it's something contagious, I don't believe in treating the same fish over and over. No matter what the cost. Although if you're talking value, all my fish are valuable to me.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Idk but i'll tell you i'm at 50% for sick fish and healthy fish. Maybe less. That's in the 15 years I've been keeping fish. I CANNOT physically do it. It makes me feel sick to put an unQT'd fish in my main tanks. No way, never. I've seen ich, anchor worm, camallanus worm, columnaris, lymphocystis, aromonas bacteria. And I barely buy new fish, mostly they are my own fish born in my tanks. Yeah, it's less than 50% chance I got a healthy fish ever.

I started QTing pretty much right away. As soon as got a second tank. My red phantoms came in with ich.
I can certainly understand this. Had I had all this happen I too wouldn't think of not quarantining new fish. I feel very fortunate that I've never had to deal with sick fish. It leaves me unable to help folks when they come to us but I am still thankful that I've not had to learn the hard way.

faydout

Well Known
Funny thing I’ve learned with qt tanks. You can’t have them running. You end up putting fish in it. At first you say to keep the cycle going. Than you get some more fish and you say well it is a qt tank and in they go. Than you buy some more and say Wait I’ve got to set up another qt tank before I put them in the old qt tank. Around 5 tanks in I now stopped filling the qt tank . Keep it empty!! MTS is sneaky!!

The way I’ve found to solve this little issue is to use a Hefty 15 gallon plastic storage tote as a quarantine. I keep extra media hidden around my tank, and pull a sponge out of my HOB to set it up and get it running. Obviously keep the filters, heater, vac, and accessories stored in it when not in use. Glad I thought of this. I’m qt’ing some Kuhli’s atm, lost 6 to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (no signs of sickness / infection) in the first 24 hours, the last 2 have been seemingly fine and growing for the almost 3 weeks I’ve had them.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Maybe.... i'm just not sure about the honey gourami. And the angel may eat the rummynose when it matures, but hopefully not if it grows up with them. They prefer to be in groups, but I personally don't mind a solo angel as long as they have tankmates, enough room and lots of mental stimulation (you playing with him). But I 100% believe in QT! I just lost 7 young angels to aeromonas bacteria that they just couldn't kick.
Unsure about the honey Gourami because of fear about how the angel would react towards the Gourami or the other way around? My honey is the most peaceful fish I have, and I would be devastated to see it eaten or beat up. I do not believe he could fit in an angels mouth, however.

The way I’ve found to solve this little issue is to use a Hefty 15 gallon plastic storage tote as a quarantine. I keep extra media hidden around my tank, and pull a sponge out of my HOB to set it up and get it running. Obviously keep the filters, heater, vac, and accessories stored in it when not in use. Glad I thought of this. I’m qt’ing some Kuhli’s atm, lost 6 to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (no signs of sickness / infection) in the first 24 hours, the last 2 have been seemingly fine and growing for the almost 3 weeks I’ve had them.
That’s what I was thinking of getting...a big storage tank. Do you keep anything like substrate on the bottom or no because of cleanliness reasons? I would assume you don’t, but thinking of putting cories in a qt with just a plastic bottom spells death from stress I feel.

faydout

Well Known
I use the small bag of media that came with the aqua clear 50 I got for it, as substrate. It keeps it mostly bare bottom, but gives the hippy noodles something interesting to move around through, since I’m not giving them sand to burrow into until they get into the big tank. Also... waiting for Aqua Huna to get more Kuhlis in, so I can add to the 2. I’ll probably keep the 2 in qt until the next batch come in and qt. The originals are going to end up in that tote for 2 - 2.5 months when it’s all said and done.

Edit: I didn’t get the 8 noodles from Aqua Huna, they came from a LFS I won’t be going back to. I’ve used AH, and like their stock a lot. Plus, they’re awesome to buy from, if buying qty (10 loaches for $24 plus shipping).

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Unsure about the honey Gourami because of fear about how the angel would react towards the Gourami or the other way around? My honey is the most peaceful fish I have, and I would be devastated to see it eaten or beat up. I do not believe he could fit in an angels mouth, however.
Yeah both ways. I've never kept gourami so I don't know and honey is supposed to be not as aggressive so maybe it can work. But it's really up to the fish's personality. No the angel won't eat the honey gourami.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Yeah both ways. I've never kept gourami so I don't know and honey is supposed to be not as aggressive so maybe it can work. But it's really up to the fish's personality. No the angel won't eat the honey gourami.
I have a long piece of driftwood throughout my tank so maybe that would help sight lines? I don’t know, I just really wanted an Angel in my 55 and it’s upsetting to hear that sometimes it’s luck of the draw and they can be uber aggressive.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
I have a long piece of driftwood throughout my tank so maybe that would help sight lines? I don’t know, I just really wanted an Angel in my 55 and it’s upsetting to hear that sometimes it’s luck of the draw and they can be uber aggressive.
Ime my angels are not aggressive, but I've read about them being aggressive so......
Personally I don't think it would be too aggressive. Sight blockers help. There's always the option to rehome the angel if one day he decides to be aggressive with the honey gourami or go after your rummynose. But ime if they grow up with these tankmates, they have a much better chance at tolerating the tankmates.

ProudPapa

Fishlore VIP
I set up a quarantine after newly bought turquoise rainbowfish I had put directly into my 65 gallon tank came down with ich. Treating ich (or anything) in a larger tank costs more than treating in a smaller tank just because of the smaller volume of water. I set up a 20 gallon long for all new incoming fish after that. When I'm finished stocking the larger tanks it will probably be a display tank, or maybe just cull shrimp and snails.

faydout

Well Known
When I'm finished stocking the larger tanks it will probably be a display tank,

Besides the tote, this is my plan for the summer. Next dollar per gallon sale, I plan on picking up a pair of 20 longs as display tanks in the family room. Kinda planning out some flashy red apistos in one, and something like GBRs for the flashy blue in the other. I’ve kept blues before, the apistos will be new though.

Madchild57

Well Known
Set up my qt tank right at the beginning after the great ick plague that wiped out 80+% of my fish

CHJ

Well Known
Set up or maintained?
My problem with my quarantine tank is it is not a dedicated quarantine tank. Sometimes it is a hospital tank.
Sometimes it gets a fish that I just have to have.. Then I need to set up a new quarantine tank.
I suspect quarantine/hospital tub is the way for me to go, like grow out tubs.
That way it will not look like a tank so I will not be tempted to permanently house a new cool fish in it.

I have never been able to maintain a quarantine tank. Right now my quarantine tank is growing out some plecos so they get big enough to go in the pleco grow out tank. Eat zuchs faster little fish!

JuiceBox52

I wouldnt. Mine grew up with my neons and rummynose and when it got bigger decided it was a snack

Kitley

Well Known
Have had my 75 gallon ruuning for 5 months...after losing half of my fish within a week, a few months back I bought a 10 gallon QT. I have 3 lil guppies in it right now...waiting to get larger to move. My last batch of new fish went right into the 75...I never learn???? I really need to buy another QT...just for new fish. Soon...very soon..likely as soon as the next fish I get are sick

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

I wouldnt. Mine grew up with my neons and rummynose and when it got bigger decided it was a snack
Wow really they ate your rummy nose? I thought they were big enough to not be affected by the Angel. Man, this is getting tougher to figure out then I thought.

JuiceBox52

Wow really they ate your rummy nose? I thought they were big enough to not be affected by the Angel. Man, this is getting tougher to figure out then I thought.
Yep. Bit the heads off and ate them. 5 in under a minute and a half

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Qt tank= next tank setup. Well my actual qt tank is in under the sink. Been there 10? Years now.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Yep. Bit the heads off and ate them. 5 in under a minute and a half
Geeze!!! Did you see it happen??

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Virgo

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

You can show off your tank builds!