Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How Deep Do Ponds Need To Be? - Advice Needed Question

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by AddieG, Apr 20, 2019.

1. AddieGValued MemberMember

Hello! I am starting out my first backyard pond for my goldfish. Lots of them are small, but a few are a bit bigger. Not 8 in. big though. Right now they're in a doggy pool, maybe 100 gallons, which is too small. The main reason for getting a pond. So I have a big pond liner, a few pumps, some plants, rocks, all of the goodies. But my main question is how deep do I need to make the pond? I live in Chicago, and in the winter it can get very very cold. Right now, I'm about 2 feet deep in the ground, which is basically clay dirt. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The Midwest portion of the country has a frost line that goes between 30 and 40 inches on average. Currently, the frost linein the Chicago area is recorded at 40 inches, which means that the water in the soil has not frozen at levels deeper than 40 inches below ground.

That's quoted from this.

3. AddieGValued MemberMember

Okay. That website is very informative. Thank you for that, and responding so fast. Judging by that, the pond would need to be a little bit deeper than 3.3 feet if I don't want it to freeze. Do you think 4 feet would be a safe estimate?

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Our frost line is around 30" so ponds are typically 3-3 1/2 foot deep. So 4 feet should be good.

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I don't have a pond ( jealous ) but if your gonna go 4' why not just go 5' :)