How Common Are Broken Aquariums/ Floods?

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello Now, I am living in an apartment on second floor. As a new person to fishkeeping, I am hearing about leaking and broken aquariums and my friends are picking on me that one day I will find broken aquarium and flood the neighbors. This seriously stresses me a little.

I only had aquarium for two months (30 liter 8 gallon) and I already got a bigger one (55 liter, cca 15 gallon). I know it is not as big as many of you have, but still it seems huge to me (when I fill it up with water ....the amount of full buckets LOL). It is a second-hand aquarium with a frame on the bottom sitting on a bar table. I took it out from frame and let sit over night filled with water to test if it leaks or just to examine it and all seems fine. It just has quiet many scratched on the inside (more on the top) - I think this is because there was sand in it before and the guy used the magnetic cleaner and just scratched it with the sand.

I basically just want to ask what are the odds of aquarium to simply just crack open and flood everything, or table breaking or stuff like this. Did it ever happen to you?

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd say it's very unlikely. I have lived on a 3rd floor apartment for years and have never been worried. I just knocked on wood though.

I bought a new tank from Petco though. It was and is still in great shape.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The odds of the aquarium randomly cracking should be 0, but other factors can affect it. If the aquarium's glass is too thin or the aquarium was hit by something before, it can crack but the chances for the latter are very low. Also if the aquarium's silicone is able to be easily peeled off, then it will need to be re-siliconed. You should also make sure your stand is stable and can't be easily knocked over.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 2 55's and a 75 i bought used 20 years ago. The 55's have been fine but my oscar decided he wanted more space and smashed a castle threw the side of the 75, it was a mess. I had one 55 that sprung a leak it was enough to wet the carpet but thats about it.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishFish221 said:
The odds of the aquarium randomly cracking should be 0, but other factors can affect it. If the aquarium's glass is too thin or the aquarium was hit by something before, it can crack but the chances for the latter are very low. Also if the aquarium's silicone is able to be easily peeled off, then it will need to be re-siliconed. You should also make sure your stand is stable and can't be easily knocked over.
Ya my bar table is not the best placement and Im planning to reposition the tank in 2-3 months to a low table. I have a Juwel aquarium so Im kinda hoping the glass should be good quality. Even though it is second-hand and I don't know what all it went through. Maybe I should look into a new tank in some time, just to ease my anxiety about this

david1978 said:
My 2 55's and a 75 i bought used 20 years ago. The 55's have been fine but my oscar decided he wanted more space and smashed a castle threw the side of the 75, it was a mess. I had one 55 that sprung a leak it was enough to wet the carpet but thats about it.
Thank you for sharing your experience Im making sure to not use any heavy or tall objects in the tank to avoid them hitting the glass. Also, I check the tank for leaks during feeding times

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Another thought, check your renters insurance policy. Some cover damage done by fish tanks others you have to add it. With all the big tanks i had when i bought our house i added it to my home owners policy.

Swampgorilla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The risk of an aquarium cracking is very low and it probably won't happen to you because ...

IT HAPPENED TO ME - and with CATASTROPHIC RESULTS.

Yes, that's right ... I absorbed the "bad luck" for you - so I think you're good to go.

133 gallon BEAUTIFUL BOYU TANK with an overhead wet / dry drip filter that was just TO DIE FOR. BIG THICK GLASS. The real seller was that, while most glass tanks are made with FIVE pieces of glass, this one was made with only THREE - because the two sides and the front were all once piece of really thick glass and ther were no unsightly joints.

It was mounted LEVEL and on a concrete foundation. Insurance guy even came to check it with a level himself before paying me off.

CRACKED ONE NIGHT - while I was asleep from the top right side, all the way around the front side about 1/3 up from the bottom.

Destroyed my living room carpet (the tank wasn't in the living room, it was in the frong foyer on tile - tile was fine).

Fish were okay ... but had to scramble to get a place to live.

I am paranoid it will happen again - which is why I now have water sensors on all my tanks that have a REALLY LOUD ALARM.

In spite of the fact that a catastrophe like this almost never happens - I still recommend everyone get those water sensors for the floor!

They help you sleep at night! Well, me anyway.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since you have smaller tanks they are easier to prevent from breaking because less stress is placed on the glass. I have yet to have a tank fail and have half used, half new, the largest ones being used. I have a 20 year old tank that is still in use and the seals are still good, it is a smaller 10 gallon.
Most fish that fit and live comfortably in the smaller tanks will not be able to even move gravel unless they are really trying.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
Another thought, check your renters insurance policy. Some cover damage done by fish tanks others you have to add it. With all the big tanks i had when i bought our house i added it to my home owners policy.
Ah alright, so that is another aspect of fishkeeping I did not know about I am in student apartment, I will check my contract tomorrow and possible insurances Thank you for that!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swampgorilla said:
The risk of an aquarium cracking is very low and it probably won't happen to you because ...

Yes, that's right ... I absorbed the "bad luck" for you - so I think you're good to go.

133 gallon BEAUTIFUL BOYU TANK with an overhead wet / dry drip filter that was just TO DIE FOR. BIG THICK GLASS. The real seller was that, while most glass tanks are made with FIVE pieces of glass, this one was made with only THREE - because the two sides and the front were all once piece of really thick glass and ther were no unsightly joints.

It was mounted LEVEL and on a concrete foundation. Insurance guy even came to check it with a level himself before paying me off.

CRACKED ONE NIGHT - while I was asleep from the top right side, all the way around the front side about 1/3 up from the bottom.

Destroyed my living room carpet (the tank wasn't in the living room, it was in the frong foyer on tile - tile was fine).

I am paranoid it will happen again - which is why I now have water sensors on all my tanks that have a REALLY LOUD ALARM.

In spite of the fact that a catastrophe like this almost never happens - I still recommend everyone get those water sensors for the floor!

Your reassurance isn’t really helping. In fact, I think you’re increasing everyone’s anxiety .

Iridium_2256

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my case, im more worried about ours breaking through the floor. While a 15 gallon tank has a negligible weight-like 150 pounds if you use gallons times 10- our 125 gallon aquarium weighs more than half a ton, not including the stand and dry weight of the tank. THAT could break through your floor if your not careful, causing more damage than just ruined carpet(mind you, carpet is still expensive). Just something to think about if you ever upgrade to a significantly larger tank.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swampgorilla said:

Hah now I feel responsible for your carpet! But I guess I should really look into the insurance ^^. My apartment is old so it wouldn't hurt a thing, but I know the people below me have new floors and walls lol

Mcasella said:
Since you have smaller tanks they are easier to prevent from breaking because less stress is placed on the glass. I have yet to have a tank fail and have half used, half new, the largest ones being used. I have a 20 year old tank that is still in use and the seals are still good, it is a smaller 10 gallon.
Most fish that fit and live comfortably in the smaller tanks will not be able to even move gravel unless they are really trying.
Thanks, this made me feel somewhat better

Iridium_2256 said:
In my case, im more worried about ours breaking through the floor. While a 15 gallon tank has a negligible weight-like 150 pounds if you use gallons times 10- our 125 gallon aquarium weighs more than half a ton, not including the stand and dry weight of the tank. THAT could break through your floor if your not careful, causing more damage than just ruined carpet(mind you, carpet is still expensive). Just something to think about if you ever upgrade to a significantly larger tank.
I think I will only have a larger tank is I one day get own house with tile floors and no basement to break into But Im definitely going to keep this in mind

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had 2 tanks spring leaks, but only along the seams where the sealant became weak. I've had to scramble to replace a 20gal long, fully stocked and planted with a dirted and capped bottom, same with a 10gal. Luckily God was on my side and I had a spare 10gal and a friend had a spare 29gal. No one died and I didn't even have time to cry in the face of panic. If my 55gal ever sprung a leak or the stand gave way, I'm pretty sure I'd have a pity party and cry myself to sleep.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
scarface said:
Your reassurance isn’t really helping. In fact, I think your increasing everyone’s anxiety .
yes. we get earthquakes. so... there's that....o_Oo_O

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do fishes count as pets? I just found out I might not be allowed pets. ops: Would insurance work in such case? :shy: I feel like having some fishes might be the most 'on edge' thing I've done in my life :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I made sure to add fish as a pet to our lease because it is a 35 gallon tank & I wanted the owners to be aware. The other thing is to ask if rental insurance covers it. Good luck.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katarina said:
Do fishes count as pets? I just found out I might not be allowed pets. ops: Would insurance work in such case? :shy: I feel like having some fishes might be the most 'on edge' thing I've done in my life :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Yes fish do count as pets. Some landlords may allow a small fish tank, though. As far as insurance, a simple rental insurance works.

My lease says that pets are allowed on a case by case basis, but “absolutely no cats!” That’s too bad cause I really like cats.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom