How come no one has plants in their SW tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by kinezumi89, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Hey all,

Ever the curious one I am, I stumbled upon the "Marine Plants" section of LiveAquaria.

Plants? In a SW tank?? I've never heard of such a thing. It says they remove nitrates, which I know have to be very low in reef tanks. So wouldn't these be a good thing to have?

Just curious :) Thanks! :)

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Because they are weeds! :giggle:

Too, marine plants (in a reef) kind of contradict the parameters of a reef. In a reef, you aim for next to zero NO3/PO4, which the plants need......

BUT!

Have a look at what people keep in their refugiums ;)

Marine plants are often referred to as macro algaes, and people keep them in their refugium to absorb the NO3/PO4.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Makes sense, thanks :) I was just surprised to see that there were plants that lived in salt water...other than seaweed :p

4. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

ryan some weeds can be pretty :/

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Yes, and give them the right environment, they'll take over your tank! :;laughing

I agree, many of the 'plants' are pretty, but I really don't want them in my display tank. Except maybe Halimeda.

KZ - I think Tigress Hill was looking at some of the grasses for her seahorse tank ;)

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I was wondering this myself, but hadn't gotten around to posting it yet. Thanks Kinezumi89!

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I guess my random, almost pointless threads are helpful sometimes! That makes me feel better ;)

8. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I have Maiden's hair grass in my sump I love it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice