How can you tell when fish are sick....

1. Jan Member Member

I have seen the obvious fish disease such as Ick, finrot etc.

Now I had a bala who looked PERFECT she was eating fine swimming. I got up this AM and she was dead. I had no indication that this would happen...... am I missing something???

I love my balas but I just cannot seem to keep them very long does anyone have some bala advice ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sometimes that happens. My betta was fine one day and dead the next. As long as your water parameters are good and you are feeding them well, there's not a whole lot you can do.

3. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

And remember that fish do die of old age. Are you doing weekly water changes, feeding them correctly, maintaining good water conditions, etc? Other than that I don't know what to tell you, except to watch very closely for behavioral or physical differences.

4. Jan Member Member

This fish could not have been more than a few months old she was no where near full grown!!!  I am so unlucky when it comes to balas.  I check my water pretty much once a week, just before I do my water changes.  The highest my nitrates have gotten is around 5 and the ammonia and nitrites are 0.....  I have  a 55 gallon tank am I maybe changing the water too much? 

I don't want to lose any more fish ??? :'(

5. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

just make sure that your water temp is a little higher or the same temp as the tank water

6. Jan Member Member

Generally that is what I do, the tap water is a bit of a higher temp, I just do 3 gallons at a time so there is not too big of a change for them.

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If your tank is cycled, you really can't do too many water changes. Most fish would love a daily water change if we did them. I have bad luck with bettas. I can't seem to keep them more than a few months either.

8. Jan Member Member

A few months... we had bad luck in the beginning with bettas but we listened to what the salesperson said and put him into a 1 gallon or so tank that was not heated.  We lost two of them pretty much back to back.  We now have our new one in a 5 gallon heated tank and we have had him for a couple of months.  Hopefully he does well, he does seem a bit lonely though or maybe that is just me.....

Upon examining the 'corpse' of my bala I noticed (I had also noticed this while he was alive but paid little attention to it) that his tail kind of curved upward.  Is this possibly why he died?  Although I do not understand why......

When you say that too many water changes is not good.... would that be say more than once a week would be too much?

9. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think once a week is excellent. Once a week is what I try to do with all my tanks. Some folks with discus do water changes daily. You can't overdo water changes. I think you misunderstood. There is no such thing as too many water changes. ;)

10. Jan Member Member

Thanks for the clarification, you are right I thought that you meant that you can do too many. :)

Actually there are times that I know that I am a little bit more than a week as I get lazy taking out buckets of water.... but I try to keep it at a week. I know that my fish love it as they all come around the water while I am pouring it in. I just wish that I knew what happened to my poor little bala!! It would be so useful if the pet stores had a bit more knowledgeable staff! Maybe they could even have an autopsy room! :D

11. Jan Member Member

I think that I may have found out my problem..... My PH is off the scale. I had bought two Ottos two days ago and we woke up this morning and they were dead same as with my bala with no indication that there was anything wrong. When we took the fish back to the store they tested our water and said that they have never seen PH so high, they thought that maybe there was something wrong with the container that we had the water in. We took a test strip home and it shows that same thing straight from the tank. All other tests are fine. I did a 30% water change just last night.

How do I lower the PH and how long will my fish live (I have 6 that are still alive) without getting the PH down?

Thank you

12. sandmaster Initiate Member

How long have you had the tank??? To many water changes can cause you p/h to go up if you are using tap water.
    And make sure you use a some type of water conditioner when you change the water. Get some jugs and fill them up put some conditioner in the water and let them sit for a week before you put it in to make sure all the chlorine and chemicals are out. And only change your water once a week. I have 2 bala sharks and with a red devil, jack Dempsey and several other chiclids and don't have any problems

13. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Jan, I don't mean to discourage you, but I am keeping Otos in a pH of at least 7.8, maybe 8+. It is best to do weekly 20-25% water changes weekly. It sounds like maybe you have been missing a few, and your changing just 3 gallons initially was not enough. If you have had high Nitrates, that could be killing your fish.

Gunnie, I think just a few months is what can be expected of Bettas. A 2-yr-old Betta is very old, and they are usually at least 6 months old by the time they reach the store.

14. Jan Member Member

I definetetly change more than 3 gallons at a time. I do around a 30% each time that I do a water change. I check my nitrates weekly and they are always around 5 with ammonia and nitrites being 0.

I was told to hold off on doing them weekly as this may not be good either. So I am just not too sure what to do at all where water changes are concerned. I have put some water into buckets as sandmaster said for about a week and I am going to change the water and see if that makes a difference.

I have had my tank since December.

15. sandmaster Initiate Member

You need to get those nitrates down tho. Go get some stability made by seachem. I used it for 10 days when i had a
    nitrate problem and use it now with every water change. It works great i have no problems with p/h, nitrates, ammonia
    or nitrites. It will build up you biological system and take those nasty nitrates right out. I use it on my 90 gal and my 10 gal
    tanks.