How can you tell or know how old a fish is?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by konstargirl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. konstargirl

konstargirlWell Known MemberMember

Well I first bought a male platy and a Juli cory that's in my 10 gallon tank for about 9 months now and I think I got them when they were about 4 months old. I do not know how old are my other two female platies are. I think they are about 5-6months old because they are bigger than my male platy( plus they are mickey mouse platies). I do know that one of the fry are 2 months old. I'm just curious, when first are first bought to the petstore to be sold, how old are they usually are?

2. michael68Valued MemberMember

I have no clue.I can tell you that my red wag fry have grown about 1 quarter inch in about a month.

3. crystalizedNew MemberMember

Usually when you buy fishes at the petstores, usually about a month to two..unless it wasnt sold quickly enough..then maybe up to few months, then eventually they get sick due to mr.petco's 2cent knowledge ...

Always best to buy fishes at the local pet store ( small business ) and they could tell you a whole lot better,

4. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

It also depends on whether or not your LFS will accept returns. Then, you'd have no idea how old a fish is....especially if it is full grown.

5. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Many stores also sell adults and have no way of knowing how old the fish are because people have turned them in for store credit or can't take care of them anymore. So it's hard to say. :(

6. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I kind of disagree but agree at the same time. The LFS, I would buy fish from, but I won't be taking their advice. The large chain stores, I won't buy fish nor would I listen to their advice. Only if I truly trusted what the employee was telling me, but I haven't had much luck with any so far, but that's just my situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice