How can you tell if a snail is dead?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by aquariumgirl lauren, Apr 5, 2010.

1. a

aquariumgirl lauren Valued Member Member

I have two gold snails with a pleco and 3 emerald cories. One of the snails was never moving or attached on to anything for about a week and the snail turned a darker color so I threw it out assuming it was dead (I hope). But how can you tell if a snail is really dead?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

They have a really bad smell when their dead :) and their shell will be empty if they've been dead very long.
    Sometimes you can tap on their shell and they will move also.
    My snails will frantically move all over the tank then on other days they will float in the overflow current or sit on the bottom for days :)
    Carol

3. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

The smell bad and they generally leave their trap door open because they can't hold it shut.

It sounds like your pleco and snails are fighting over the same food. You may want to supplement their diets with algea wafers and also maybe you should think about growing algea in a glass for them.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

as well as smelling, they turn a really weird color (well, mine do. but they're brown)

5. OP
    OP
    a

6. D

David C Well Known Member Member

I had a snail not move at all for two weeks. I thought he was dead and gave him the benefit of the doubt, and now he's back to his usual antics. Maybe he was growing a new shell or very bored... not sure but all is well now.

Dave

7. OP
    OP
    a

Oh no! I hope my snail was actually dead and I didn't just kill it by throwing it away! If I did I'll feel really bad!

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You'll never know so don't beat yourself up about it :)
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice