How Can It Be A Water Issue???

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK Gang, Goldiemom is asking for advice with her goldfish. I never have health issues with my Goldie’s. Last week my black moor had popeye. I’m still treating with Kanaplex but it’s getting better. Tonight I noticed that my calico has curling Gill cover. Both problems sited water quality as a reason. I change my water on Weds. with about 50% and Sunday’s I do tank cleaning, vac substrate, swish filter if needed in tank water, etc. I tested tonight with API kit and ammonia was 1.0 after just cleaning yesterday. I feed twice daily. Maybe I’m feeding too much? Can Kanaplex affect ammonia? Can anything be done for Curling Gill Cover? This has been a bad fish month.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since kanaplex is supposed to kill bacteria i would guess it would also kill off the bacteria in your filter. Never used it myself but that would by guess.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i read threw a couple of the threads that popped up and it sounded like it didn't completely kill their cycles but made a dent in it.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just googled “ will Kanaplex hurt my nitrogen cycle” and everything I pulled up said “no”. I read a number of articles. I think I did figure it out though when reading one article. I have been running my filters without carbon for some time after reading that other members didn’t use it. The article said that can cause a spike because the carbon absorbs ammonia. So thank you anyway for the lead!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CraniumRex said:
Sorry you're having issues! Have you tested your water out of the tap? Just a thought.
I have not but will right now. Thanks!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Carbon won't absorb your ammonia, but it'll absorb your medicine. Honestly, with 3 goldies and a pleco in a 55, I wouldn't be surprised at the ammonia. I know yours are relatively small, and I don't believe you're overstocked, but goldies and plecos are both prolific poopers.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom