How can I treat ich without meds?

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hope the fish in your tank can survive 86 (I'm guessing they can). Do frequent water changes (and gravel vacs!!) but keep parameters stable, and if you must, add a small amount of aquarium salt. I do not know how much, as I never use salt, but hopefully someone else can add in.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Gel0city said:
Hope the fish in your tank can survive 86 (I'm guessing they can). Do frequent water changes (and gravel vacs!!) but keep parameters stable, and if you must, add a small amount of aquarium salt. I do not know how much, as I never use salt, but hopefully someone else can add in.
Should I do one every 2 days? I don’t want to hurt the plants with the salt . I think they should be fine in 86 as they are all tropical

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ich stopped reproducing at 86 degrees and dies at 88 degrees F. All areas of the tank must reach this temp and it should die. Raise the temp slowly and make sure you add extra oxygenation because the high heat will make the water hold less oxygen. I had to add 3 additional bubblers to my 55 gal when I did mine. Keep an eye on the fish and raise it to 89 if they can take it. Mine did great and I had no deaths.

I also had to get 2 additional heaters to get it that hot. A total of 600 watts for a 55 gal. Get a digital thermometer to check temp

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wtusa1783 said:
Should I do one every 2 days? I don’t want to hurt the plants with the salt . I think they should be fine in 86 as they are all tropical
If you can avoid salt, avoid it. Too many without enough water changes can cause gill burns and such. If you raise your temperature and ich disappears, make sure to keep that temp for about 1 week more. This ensures that all ich is dead and you will not have another outbreak.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Gel0city said:
If you can avoid salt, avoid it. Too many without enough water changes can cause gill burns and such. If you raise your temperature and ich disappears, make sure to keep that temp for about 1 week more. This ensures that all ich is dead and you will not have another outbreak.
Yep. So just the temp should be fine?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Raise temp to 88, let it stay there for 4-5 days, then do a 75% water change. After water change start to lower the temp. back down. Do not add salt with plants.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
EmbersToAshes said:
Ich stopped reproducing at 86 degrees and dies at 88 degrees F. All areas of the tank must reach this temp and it should die. Raise the temp slowly and make sure you add extra oxygenation because the high heat will make the water hold less oxygen. I had to add 3 additional bubblers to my 55 gal when I did mine. Keep an eye on the fish and raise it to 89 if they can take it. Mine did great and I had no deaths.

I also had to get 2 additional heaters to get it that hot. A total of 600 watts for a 55 gal. Get a digital thermometer to check temp
I’ve raised the temp but I have a pleco. Will he be fine. Also I have a digital thermometer but it is one the opposite side of the tank. It always is reading under what I set the heater to. Should I move it?

Dennis57 said:
Raise temp to 88, let it stay there for 4-5 days, then do a 75% water change. After water change start to lower the temp. back down. Do not add salt with plants.
Will my fish be ok? I have angels and dwarf rainbows. Are they fine?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 8 different plecos in 1 of my tanks, and they were all fine

wtusa1783 said:
Yes

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
I have 8 different plecos in 1 of my tanks, and they were all fine
Ok thanks. So 88 for 4 days and a big water change and they should be fine?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok thanks. So 88 for 4 days and a big water change and they should be fine?
That should take care of the ich, that's what I just did in 1 of my tanks. I have a 8 year old Angel that had it on him, thank God no other fish in that tank got it

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
That should take care of the ich, that's what I just did in 1 of my tanks. I have a 8 year old Angel that had it on him, thank God no other fish in that tank got it
Ok thanks. Where should I put my thermometer? It’s on the opposite side and it’s reading 83 but I put the heater on 86

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok thanks. Where should I put my thermometer? It’s on the opposite side and it’s reading 83 but I put the heater on 86
On the opposite end of the heater. Is the heater strong enough to raise the temp? Is the top of the tank covered to keep the heat in?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
What type of pleco; majority of pleco actually love warm water but there are a few that prefer things to be cooler. angels should be fine if you raise it slowly don't know anything about rainbows.

wtusa1783 said:
I’ve raised the temp but I have a pleco. Will he be fine. Also I have a digital thermometer but it is one the opposite side of the tank. It always is reading under what I set the heater to. Should I move it?

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
jake37 said:
What type of pleco; majority of pleco actually love warm water but there are a few that prefer things to be cooler. angels should be fine if you raise it slowly don't know anything about rainbows.
Albino bushy nose

Dennis57 said:
On the opposite end of the heater. Is the heater strong enough to raise the temp? Is the top of the tank covered to keep the heat in?
It is 200 watts for 29 gallons. So just keep it where it is? The whole heater is covered

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Albino bushy nose

It is 200 watts for 29 gallons. So just keep it where it is? The whole heater is covered
Yes that should work. Keep an eye on it through out the day

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
Yes that should work. Keep an eye on it through out the day
Ok. So I should do a big water change today and then on Sunday to another big one?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Ok. So I should do a big water change today and then on Sunday to another big one?
NO, dont do a water change until the 5th day, when you add the water back in try and match the same temp( 88 ) then lower the heater back down to what you normally keep it at

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
NO, dont do a water change until the 5th day, when you add the water back in try and match the same temp( 88 ) then lower the heater back down to what you normally keep it at
Wait so don’t do a water change today? I did one Sunday and I noticed the ich in Monday

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wtusa1783 said:
Wait so don’t do a water change today? I did one Sunday and I noticed the ich in Monday
No, wait until Sunday or Monday to do the water change

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom