How Can I Treat a Guppy With Swim Bladder?

Sannaco

A week ago I moved houses, only about a four minute drive from where I lived previously. I put my two male guppies in a travel tank and transported them to the new house, leaving them in the travel tank while I prepared their tank and allowed it to cycle for a day. When I put the fish back in their tank one of the guppies was perfectly fine and remains healthy now, but the other quickly developed a curved spine and bloated stomach. He increasingly had trouble swimming, had lethargy, and seemed constipated as his poop wasn't dropping immediately away from his body. I figured that it was just trouble adjusting to the water since I had only kept about 15%-20% of the water from the tank before the move.

I first tried to feed him a blanched pea to help with the constipation, but he had little interest in them and only ate a bit. After that I tried to raise the temperature a bit in the tank to help with digestion, he was able to poop better, but no improvement with his swimming. In fact, his trouble swimming only increased and he progressed to the point that he now spends most of his time tilted on his side at the top of the tank. His stomach looks bloated and distended so I thought it was probably swim bladder. Next, I went out in search of epsom salts because I heard that could help swim bladder, the best thing I could find that day at a local pet store was aquarium salt. I put some of that in the tank two days ago. Since then his spine has straightened back out and is no longer curved, but he is still having just as much difficulty swimming. I'm wondering what my next step should be.

Would seeking out epsom salts so I can do a salt bath for him be better than using aquarium salts for swim bladder? What other methods can I try? I know, at a certain point, I will have to put him down but before that point I would like to exhaust all of my options.

BigManAquatics

If bloated, i would keep it simple and just not feed for a few days.

HupGupp

Wait and see is probably the best approach - if the rest of your tank is OK for it, adding some aquarium salt can help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DanielFish
Replies
Views
HupGupp
  • Question
  • CJSmith
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
lobobrandon
  • Bluestreakfl
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
  • Icebear59
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Heron

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Guppy Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom