How Can I Transfer My Betta Quickly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ozzy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Valued Member Member

So I moved everyone from my five gal to my 20 gal! Everything is going great except I don't think my betta, Suede is too happy about it. I think the filter is too strong for him and all the activity is stressing him out. Also upon learning he and my oto's aren't temperature compatible I decided moving him back to a five gal would be the best decision.

He still eats fine, and he looks rather healthy but he's much more lethargic and lays on his log most of the time.

Could I possibly do a quick transfer to make sure he doesn't start doing worse, if so what would you recommend ?

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If your five is still running you can put him back over easily, scoop him up in a cup and transfer him if the tanks are similar enough (o,o,10~ heated and all). They are a little more forgiving, even when ill, but get him out of the stressing tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Ozzy

Ozzy Valued Member Member

Unfortunately the tank isn't going anymore, water change day is tomorrow though. If I siphoned some of my water from the 20, add some of the old gravel to it and get it to the right temp do you think he'd be fine?

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

He should be okay, but keep up with water changes to prevent the cycling process from harming him. If you can take a small section of your current filter media it will help (1/2 to 1 inch in size, cut off with scissors if possible) put in filter when he is put in.

5. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Like @Mcasella said, get as much media from the 20g you can. Even if it's just some substrate or decorations. Some bio-material or filter media would be best if the 20g can spare some. Transferring him won't be much of an issue if you just scoop him out gently with a cup, but the 5g going through a cycle can definitely do harm or kill him if not kept in check.

*Edit - No need to use the dirty water from the 20g. There won't be enough BB in the water, if any, since it grows on surfaces. New, dechlorinated water will be much more beneficial.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice