how can i tell the gender of my two neon dwarf gouramis? How Do I

1. leopold97 Initiate Member

I recently got two neon dwarf gouramis and both of them are brightly coloured. Until recently i thought both were males as they used to constantly fight .so i had kept both of them in seperate tanks .a few days ago i put both of them in the same tank and they did some kind of dance by making a circle with their bodies and swimming in a circular manner and after about 10 mins they stopped it and one started hitting the other, so i seperated them again .the thing is that yesterday morning i saw that one of them had a visually bloated belly as if it was pregnant ! Its still the same way and the gourami with the bloated belly has suddenly become territorial and keeps on hiding in some live plants. Pls help!

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The males are much more vibrant in color and also have a pointed dorsal fin (rounded on the female). Is there a bubble nest in the tank?

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Males are bright, females are dullish gray.

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Because the females are so dull, I have never actually seen them in a store in our area. You need to quarantine your boy with the bloated belly. I hope he feels better.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

That is correct for all Dwarfs : except for Neons : both males and Females are blue. Even the fin-recognition is very hard in this case !!!! All due to extreme interbreeding aso.
    Very difficult to do !!!

Tags: