How can I tell if the fin rot is getting better?

1. BettaChuck Member Member

A couple of days ago, I realized my Betta had fin rot so I went to the nearest pet store and bought him meds.I bought him TetraMedica General Tonic http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/tetramedica-general-tonic-100ml-p-1172.html
    I started treatment imediately as the instructions said.I did a 30% water change and added the medicine. Today(roughly 3 days later) I did a 100% water change and cleaned his entire tank and I added back the medicine, again following the instructions and puting 2,2 ml since my tank is 2.2 gallons in theory, but obviously holds less water.

The trouble is, I can't tell if he's getting better or not.The tips of his fins are white-ish I would say more towards transparent rather than towards opaque. Also, I realized he has a white belly but he's been like that since I got him I think.
    He's been acting like he's healthy: he eats twice a day(and always wants more lol), he is as active as always, he builds bubble nests...

I feed him pellets( Tetra for all tropical fish) and I alternate with Flakes ( Betta flakes, also from Tetra). I feed him 4-5 pellets at one meal so that's about 10 a day and in the days I feed him flakes I feed him about 8 flakes a day.Every day I give him 1 freeze dried shrimp which came with the flakes. I always feed him one pellet/flake at the time,wait till his done eating it before giving him another, so no food is ever left in the tank.I feed never feed him until his belly looks huge just until it looks full.I think I may have mentioned this before but I usually do 100% water changes once a week.Is that good?

:( So, how do I tell he's getting better?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Usually for fin rot, you can just keep the water prestine and soak some of his food in fresh garlic to help build his immune system. It does take a few weeks though and wont happen over night. Adding stress coat helps him as well.

At this point, I would keep a close eye on the cycle as most meds will kill beneficial bacteria. If you can find some Fish protector, prime, and start daily partial water changes, he should clear up in a few weeks.

Id also stop feeding him the flakes and freeze dried foods unless you soak them in the garlic before hand. They have a tendency to expand and cause bloat/constipation in bettas.