How can I tell if my gold dust Molly has velvet?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Paicavi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. P

Paicavi Valued Member Member

:confused: hi again. My gold dust Molly girls seems to rubbing herself against the thermometer, totally smooth surface!!!!?? When I try to see of there's anything on her scales I can't because she wount stop moving! I swear she has ADHD. Any thoughts???

2. Zenial

Zenial Valued Member Member

Hi Paicavi,

If you stay very still long enough and they'll come out of hiding for a relaxed swim about and to hug the thermometer.

Maybe you can leave a video camera running next to your fish tank? :p

3. OP
    OP
    P

I think I spend way too much time watching my fish swim. I just had foot surgery and I can't take my dogs out, so they r the next best thing! They are awesome though

4. OP
    OP
    P

Even my dogs sit with me and watch them. It's cute

5. Zenial

Zenial Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear about your foot! :( I hope it heals swiftly.

Now, as for your Molly.... have you had to opportunity to inspect it yet?

If you are sure she does have something wrong, best thing you can do is quarantine her. Makes her easy to inspect and treat. If there's anything wrong, the quickest reaction will give her better chances of surviving.

EDIT: Oh and quick side note: You may wish to update your aquarium info, at the moment for Livestock it says "Just decorations".

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Oodinium/Velvet there are two photos of it in the link below right after the ICH photos listed as OOdinium. Please note: There are GRAPHIC photos of fish disease in the link:

Velvet (Oodinium) Velvet looks a lot like ich but velvet shows up as smaller yellow or gray dusty spots on the fish. Tropical fish with velvet will have rapid gill movement and may be rubbing on surfaces in the tank....info from link below:
    https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

Best wishes. I hope your fish is going to be ok. Please keep us posted.
    Ken

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    P

The pics where great, I've been looking for something like that thank so much. My Qt tank is mid cycle still and her beeing a gold dust she has d those sparkling spots to begin with. I'll still try to catch her on a break from bouncing off the walls, thanx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice