How Can I Tell If Fin Rot Is Healing?

ladysarah1985

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good afternoon! My female betta has been very healthy since I got her Spring 2018. She has developed fin rot. I have her quarantined in a 1 gallon tank for now, treating her daily with pre-dissolved aquarium salt & 100% water changes to the quarantine tank.

A few days ago she could barely eat & her fins looked terrible. She was lethargic - though still displayed that fighting spirit I love. She's now having a much easier time grabbing food, & she's acting more energetic (she's still a bit lethargic, too, but she doesn't seem to be dying anymore). I can't see that her fins are getting better, though - the fin rot progressed terribly quickly!! I tried to treat her with Bettafix first & it did nothing, she just got worse.

So, my question - how can you tell if the fin rot has been successfully treated? My next course of action is to treat her with antibiotics, but I don't want to do that if she's responding to the aquarium salt alone.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ladysarah1985 said:
100% water changes to the quarantine tank.

A few days ago she could barely eat & her fins looked terrible.
I wouldn't do 100% water changes. Maybe 50-80, even 90% since you're putting salts in and it's 1 gallon, but not everything. That'll just cause stress, since I'm assuming you're removing her and then putting her back in?

How big is the main tank? Have you tested its water? I'm confused as to why she could barely eat. Often times, fish with fin rot still eat. I wonder if the water quality was bad and affecting her whole health.
It's only been a few days, I doubt you'd see any healing yet. First the cause of the rot needs to be stopped, then the fins can start to heal overtime.

Did you do water changes before moving her to QT? What's your water change schedule?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom