How can I separate guppies

• Thread starter Jojo205
  • Start date

Jojo205

So i have 2 male guppies in a 5 gallon (no need to lecture me on how small the tank is or how i need a bigger group to spread out the aggression, i know those things and i’m in the process of finding a new home for them that can take better care of them than i can) and they bully each other a LOT - especially since 1 of the original 3 died and there is even less fish to spread the aggression out. Until i find a new home for them is there a way I can separate them? I can’t buy a divider or breeder box for the tank since I have 0 money right now lol (i’m a broke teenager LOL) but is there a way i can make something myself ? I don’t have any extra tanks the 5 gallon is my only one.

jkkgron2

Well Known
You could get a fish-safe container and float it in the tank. As long as this won’t be permanent I think that should be ok.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
If you have a clean pail you could put them in it with a sponge filter (if you have a spare spong filter). You could put one in the toilet bowl ;)

Jojo205

jake37 said:
If you have a clean pail you could put them in it with a sponge filter (if you have a spare spong filter). You could put one in the toilet bowl ;)
I don’t have a spare filter

jkkgron2 said:
You could get a fish-safe container and float it in the tank. As long as this won’t be permanent I think that should be ok.
Wouldn’t it sink to the bottom if it’s full of water ?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Jojo205 said:
Wouldn’t it sink to the bottom if it’s full of water ?
It shouldn’t, I’ve used plastic before and it’s floated. Just don’t fill the container to the brim.

Jojo205

jkkgron2 said:
It shouldn’t, I’ve used plastic before and it’s floated. Just don’t fill the container to the brim.
Oh ok! I’ll try that.

jkkgron2 said:
turns out i don’t have any aquarium safe containers LOL anything else that could work?

Also they’re poop machines lol, they’ll need to be separated for a few days -temporary but longer than just a few hours or a day. So i don’t think a container where the water isn’t being filtered or anything would be good and the poop would accumulate quickly.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Jojo205 said:
Oh ok! I’ll try that.

turns out i don’t have any aquarium safe containers LOL anything else that could work?

Also they’re poop machines lol, they’ll need to be separated for a few days -temporary but longer than just a few hours or a day. So i don’t think a container where the water isn’t being filtered or anything would be good and the poop would accumulate quickly.
Try switching up the decor or adding in some more hides. That should be enough for a few days.

Top Bottom