How can I properly feed my fish

FishOverseer909

So I feed my fish with flakes and occasionally daphnia but usually my HOB filter pushes a majority of it down to the bottom and then my fish just give up on trying to get it how can I fix this?

kallililly1973

What size tank and what inhabitants do you have? Is the filter flow adjustable?

Chris1212

Hmm, maybe the type of flakes? The ones I use (Tetramin Plus) float for the most part. Some might get pushed down but not many unless I release them underwater.

FishOverseer909

PAcanis

Feed them less.
My fish would only eat sinking food (except for the Gourami), so I only fed them what they would eat before it hit bottom. This was before I got my Panda Corys. I would feed them 2-3x/day this way.

Now though, even the Rummynose and Cherry Barbs are eating it when it's floating. And the Cherry Barbs will also eat off the substrate, so I am adjusting my feeding again to feed some on top and have some reach bottom.

KingOscar

You can stop the filter for a few minutes. This will not only keep the food at the surface longer but the fish will quickly learn this means chow time!

ForceTen

I do not stop the filters at feeding. I have two filters and adjust the smallest as far down as it will go. I put food in that front corner. I only feed once per day in the morning. I give brine shrimp occasionally.
TetraMin makes a food called Tropical Crisps. They float until the fish commence a ruckus while eating and slapping the food so it will drop.
I have used several brands over the years and have found the crisps to be a good choice. Most flakes turn to powder once you are about halfway done with the food container.
The only issue is small fish may not be able to swallow the crisps as they are about the size of dried oatmeal. You can crumble them though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
ChristianYK
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies