How can I prevent this algae??

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by platy ben, Apr 2, 2010.

1. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Hello :)

Okay so since I got both of my T5HO fixtures for my 34G and 45G I have had some horrible type of algae start growing in both tanks.

In the angel tank I am just about keeping on top of it :)
    But in the koi tank I let it grow wild because I know the koi love it! However, once the koi are outside the 34G will be used for breeding bolivian rams or angelfish. If I breed angelfish I will want the tank to be bare bottom.

So the question is, how can I stop so much algae growing? :(

Heres a pic of the koi tank now.

Attached Files:

2. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Hello, Platy Ben.

Is all that green stuff algae? Thats A LOT! The only thing I could suggest now is to get the biggest zebra nerite snails you can find and some Amano shrimp. Make sure that they're large enough not to get eaten by the angelfish. Maybe cut of their source of phosphorus and nitrate? Actually, I'm kind of stumped.

3. OP
    OP
    platy ben

I did say I let it go haywire :p

Remember at the moment the tank has koi in which will eat shrimp :p and it isn't heated.

I don't mind scrubbing it nice and clean once the koi go outside, but once I get angels in their I dont want to have to disturb them :(

EDIT: Just lifted one of the halves of the sunken ship up and the algae seems to have a network of roots in the sand.
    So maybe once I turn the tank bare bottom there won't be anywhere for roots?

4. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

There's a sunken ship in there? lol

5. OP
    OP
    platy ben

Haha :p I was waiting for someone to say that :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice