How can I please my pleco?

Maerad2021

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
I have a long-fin bristle-nose pleco and have had him for nearly a year, and I had him on a black aquarium gravel. WHen I moved I took out the gravel and have not put it back into his tank. I think it looks ok and am debating not putting the gravel back in. He has a driftwood piece across the tank, and a forrest of java fern, anubias, and a rosette type plant. Since I took out the gravel he has been exploring the tank more and been more active. Is it ok to keep a pleco without gravel? I find it easier to keep the tank cleaner but I have not seen others with bare bottomed tanks. If anyone has advice or feels like they could slap me for removing the gravel let me know. I like the look both ways and need help deciding.
 

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,531
Reaction score
5,603
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as the fish seems happy that's all that matters.
 

TWiG87

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,354
Reaction score
2,232
Location
NJ
Experience
5 to 10 years
He will be just fine with no gravel. He would probably appreciate a pleco cave setup of some sort. There are some affordable options on Amazon
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Maerad2021

Maerad2021

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
TWiG87 said:
He will be just fine with no gravel. He would probably appreciate a pleco cave setup of some sort. There are some affordable options on Amazon
Also I know I really should have done more research but I have him in a 10 gallon tank with only a betta fish. I asked the aquarium store owner if there was a bottomfeeder I could keep with my betta. He told me a long-fin bristlenose pleco, but since getting him I have seen that they should be kept in a 25 gallon tank. When I went back to the store the guy told me that a ten gallon was ok and my fish has not had any health or mood issues. He has been happy the whole time, but all the forums say that he shouldn't be happy in that habitat. He has plenty of hiding places and the betta pretty much never goes into the bottom of the tank. What should I do about him?
 

TWiG87

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,354
Reaction score
2,232
Location
NJ
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are correct. I would try and get a larger tank when you can. If he is still a smaller juvenile he will be ok for now, but mature BN plecos will be somewhere in the 5” range. Too large for a 10 gallon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Maerad2021

Maerad2021

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
TWiG87 said:
You are correct. I would try and get a larger tank when you can. If he is still a smaller juvenile he will be ok for now, but mature BN plecos will be somewhere in the 5” range. Too large for a 10 gallon.
I am unable to get a larger tank while living with my parents and my apartment complex for next year doesn't want tanks larger than 25 gal. I won't be able to get a larger tank until about a year from now and only if I am not living with my parents if I cannot find a job after college. What age would they be ok in a 10 gallon until?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Maerad2021

Maerad2021

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
Maerad2021 said:
I am unable to get a larger tank while living with my parents and my apartment complex for next year doesn't want tanks larger than 25 gal. I won't be able to get a larger tank until about a year from now and only if I am not living with my parents if I cannot find a job after college. What age would they be ok in a 10 gallon until?
I really don't want to surrender him to the fish store. I love him so much. I named him almost immediately and I'm too attatched at this point.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
111
Guests online
2,012
Total visitors
2,123

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom