How Can I Make My 20 Gallon Look More Appealing?

CatfishGuy
Right now I only have the substrate, 1/4 sand and 3/4 gravel-ish, its just a mix of fingernail size rocks. I don't have an actual lid, its more of a light on a transparent box lid, it doesn't cover even half the tank. I want to make my tank look good before I buy more fish

EbiAqua
Right now I only have the substrate, 1/4 sand and 3/4 gravel-ish, its just a mix of fingernail size rocks. I don't have an actual lid, its more of a light on a transparent box lid, it doesn't cover even half the tank. I want to make my tank look good before I buy more fish
Pics and tank size?

CatfishGuy
Pics and tank size?

1520739905214.jpeg

Sorry for the bad quality but it's a 20 long, I forgot to mention the solo cup for some reason.

EbiAqua
Tank looks cloudy, how long has it been set up? Do you know of the nitrogen cycle?

I think opting for either sand or gravel will be better than both as it will create a more homogeneous look. Dark substrates, such as black or brown, also look very natural and make fish's colors more vibrant. I also think some kind of rockwork and some easy plants like anubias or java moss will really fill out the tank and make it look nice. They do not require very bright lighting or lots of fertilizers to thrive, and they can simply be tied or glued to rocks or wood.

CatfishGuy
Tank looks cloudy, how long has it been set up? Do you know of the nitrogen cycle?

I think opting for either sand or gravel will be better than both as it will create a more homogeneous, look. Dark substrates, such as black or brown, also look very natural and make fish's colors more vibrant. I also think some kind of rockwork and some easy plants like anubias or java moss will really fill out the tank and make it look nice. They do not require very bright lighting or lots of fertilizers to thrive, and they can simply be tied or glued to rocks or wood.
The reason my tank is cloudy is that I shook up the gravel to get old food out because I have a very strong filter that can clear it up in > an hour, it's been setup for over two months, added fish a week ago. I will get onto making the substrate purely gravel, ive just been a bit too lazy

Niki Rose
A large piece of Spider wood or manzanita would look good, you could also then attach moss and anubias to it. Id also remove some of those gravel/rocks to make the substrate look more natural and add more sand.

EbiAqua
The reason my tank is cloudy is that I shook up the gravel to get old food out because I have a very strong filter that can clear it up in > an hour

Ok, but how long has the tank been up and running? Do you have a way to test the water?

Also looks like you have a paradise gourami, I can suggest tank mates for it if you'd like.

CatfishGuy
Ok, but how long has the tank been up and running? Do you have a way to test the water?

Also looks like you have a paradise gourami, I can suggest tank mates for it if you'd like.
I have two, I also have a colombian shark I bought on impulse, ill be rehousing it soon though

EbiAqua
I have two, I also have a colombian shark I bought on impulse, ill be rehousing it soon though

You keep dodging the important question lol

How old is the tank?

CatfishGuy
Sorry, I edited a reply up there with how old it is, it's 2 months, well, I started cycling it 2 months ago. I added fish to it for the first time last week.

EbiAqua
Sorry, I edited a reply up there with how old it is, it's 2 months, well, I started cycling it 2 months ago. I added fish to it for the first time last week.

Got a way to test your water? Having the aquarium be fish safe is more important than it looking nice

CatfishGuy
Got a way to test your water? Having the aquarium be fish safe is more important than it looking nice
I have Tetra 5-in-1 easystrips, tests Nitrate, Nitrite, Hardness, pH, and Alkalinity

EbiAqua
I have Tetra 5-in-1 easystrips, tests Nitrate, Nitrite, Hardness, pH, and Alkalinity
They don't test Ammonia though... hmmm...

Anyway, I think the suggestion of going with either sand or a smaller gravel would look best, with some rock scaping and easy live plants for color and appeal. Neon tetras or celestial pearl danios would make good tank mates for your gourami and would add even more color.

CatfishGuy
They don't test Ammonia though... hmmm...

Anyway, I think the suggestion of going with either sand or a smaller gravel would look best, with some rock scaping and easy live plants for color and appeal. Neon tetras or celestial pearl danios would make good tank mates for your gourami and would add even more color.
I'll see if I can find anything to test the ammonia, thank you for the help and advice though!

Hunter1
Don’t do the neons until you know your tank is cycled or there will be a body count . They need a stable tank to survive. Most fish need a stable tank to thrive but neons need it to just survive.

CatfishGuy
Don’t do the neons until you know your tank is cycled or there will be a body count . They need a stable tank to survive. Most fish need a stable tank to thrive but neons need it to just survive.
I'm very sure my tank is cycled but I will wait a while so I don't waste my money.

J.Ho
When in doubt you can toss in easy plants. They both spruce up a tank and make it easier on your fish by absorbing raw ammonia and nitrates. Get an intake sponge for your filter, get some java moss, or fire moss, or christmas moss. Ditch the solo cup and replace it with one of those clay planters pots or even some of those plastic type reptile caves. Glue the moss to the top of the cave with super glue, and a glue some to a couple of big rocks you can move around later (so you can rearrange your stuff with very little hassle.) In a little while it will grow and start looking like a cool kind of weed bed. Prune it down when it starts to get out of control and throw the extra moss in a fish bowl or a large jar with some tank water in it and store it in a room that gets light (but not in direct sun). Blammo. Super simple planted tank, supply of good moss to please fish, keep algae down, keep your ammonia down and supply yourself with back up or other people who are interested in it. You can add java fern as well, just make sure to glue or tie it to something and NOT bury it in any substrate. I suggest a rock or small chunk of driftwood, again so you can rearrange and trim your plants easily, how you want, when you want, and not worry about disturbing things for your fish too much.

I tried this in a 10 gallon guppy tank with 1990's bulb lighting and a fake plant. Water quality jumped, algae went down, the moss started looking like a nice weedy carpet. Java fern is pretty good for low light too, and also will multiply on it's own.

NavyChief20
He answered that question the first time you asked him. Actually he explained why his tank was cloudy and THEN said how old it was. He did not dodge the question, moreover you dodged the answer

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views
kanzekatores
Replies
Views
tnrsmomma
Replies
Views