How Can I MAKE a breeders box?

1. Molly105 Member Member

I don't want to buy one at the store but I need a breeders box to protect my fry? Any ideas? Post step by step pics plz?!

2. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I've never done this, but maybes get a soda bottle, cut off the top, put holes in the side(small, make sure they aren't sharp), and use a chip clip to hold it in the tank.

3. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Do you have a extra large or economy sized net?

Put it into the tank with the handle sticking over the rim.

Add a few floating plants.

Close lid.

Can't get much easier than that.

Or: Float a clean plastic storage container in tank.
    Decorate as above.
    Add an airstone set on low to provide circulation.

Otherwise the net and plastic ones run about 2.50 at Wally World. The materials to DIY would cost more than that.

4. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

You're better off buying a cheap one. I tried diy one and the holes were sharp it felt like a cheese grater. I bought a netted fry box that floats and it works really well.

5. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

You should buy a breeder box.It just costs a dollar.

6. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

If you need a temp holding container to keep your fry from being a snack, what i did was used a 1 gallon plastic bowl with an air stone. 100% water change every other day using dechlorinated water. My 1 fry lived there for about 2 weeks before i just bought a cheap little thing that suctions to the inside of the tank.

When my fry is no longer snack size it will be released into the tank.

7. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

If you wish to raise the fry, you need another tank. Otherwise, just let nature take it's course. Breeder nets/boxes are a poor way to try to raise fry. For a small number of Molly fry, say 10-12, a ten gallon tank is needed for at least the first couple of months, and to get good growth will require a 50% or more water change every 2-3 days. After that they will need more space.

I have also used plastic storage bins with box or sponge filters, and large (100+) spawns go into wading pools.

8. Molly105 Member Member

Where can I buy one?

9. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Which? The breeder you can buy at a fish store/Amazon. I think Amazon more commonly carries the sponge filter than petstores.