How can I lessen the current from my power filter?

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an Aqua Clear 5-20 Gallon power filter by Hagen in a 10 gallon fish tank, but the current is a bit strong for the tank. I have it on the least amount of output setting. My fish usually swim around the back now so they don't get blown around, and I want to get guppies but they have big fins so they will get blown easily.
What can I do to my filter in order to lessen its current?
Thank you!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is a flow control switch at the top of the intake tube.

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I already have it on the least amount of output, as mentioned above. Any other ideas?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
and it's still too much??

I've kept bettas in 10's with AC20's (100 gph) on full blast.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Ryan! I kind of Change the plastic cup idea, I just cut out a
piece and put it below the little waterfall to shoot the water out instead, and now the water is undisturbed (besides the surfae water, which has some current that pushes the flakes on top around, but then it's fun to watch the fish who eat at the top kind of chase the food on the surface). Thanks!

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the same filter in a 10 gallon for my shrimp and a Aqua Clear 50 in my 20 gallon guppy tank. I find that keeping the water level to the top of the tank (so the spout on the filter is in the water) helps keep a quiet flow and for more action I lower the water level a half inch to an inch and get lots of movement, the guppies love it and seem to enjoy surfing on the current, even the young ones. I also have my filter more to one side rather than in the middle of the tank for those fish who do not like so many waves, they hang out in the quiet waters and watch their tank mates enjoying the "water park"

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can put a sponge over the 'intake tube' which will lessen the flow a bit ... and an AC20 sponge is perfect for the application.

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just raised the water level up to the filter, and this minimized its current significantly, thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads