How Can I Keep Tabs On My Kuhli Loaches?

Galaxyfish
I just bought 2 KuhlI loaches for my 40 gallon long. I ordered 6, but there were only 2 in stock. I will add more as soon as I can find more! Substrate is pool filter sand and river rock. They're hiding in the rocks.
Anyway, I haven't seen any hint of these guys since I put them in my tank 3 days ago. How do I know they aren't dead?? How do I know they are getting food?

smee82
If you only have 2 you probably will never see them until you get more.

Fanatic
You need more, they get really skittish without lots of buddies to shoal with. I would suggest getting at least six, preferably more.
What other fish are in the tank?

aussieJJDude
You need more, they get really skittish without lots of buddies to shoal with. I would suggest getting at least six, preferably more.
What other fish are in the tank?
They did say they getting more, and ordered six....

To the OP, the best bet would be to go in the middle of the night and with a flashlight, try looking for them.

Fanatic

Whoops, sorry my eyes are doing me no justice.

Piscesorkillerwhale

To the OP, the best bet would be to go in the middle of the night and with a flashlight, try looking for them.
Flash lighting fish in the dark is not nice...

I just bought 2 KuhlI loaches for my 40 gallon long. I ordered 6, but there were only 2 in stock. I will add more as soon as I can find more! Substrate is pool filter sand and river rock. They're hiding in the rocks.
Anyway, I haven't seen any hint of these guys since I put them in my tank 3 days ago. How do I know they aren't dead?? How do I know they are getting food?
I only have 2 as well. The bigger one comes out more than the smaller one. When I do water changes and clean the gravel I look around for the other one.

Paper Spiders
I have 6 kulhis, but for a while I only had 4. I also was stupid and got two striped ones, and two black ones. They set up two 'colonies' in the tank. I would have gotten all black ones, if I knew they wouldn't school together.

I have a heavily planted tank with lots of driftwood, and they are ALWAYS out, sticking their noses out to see what's going on. Sometimes they drape themselves over plants like Christmas tinsel.

I'd guess that you don't have enough hiding places for them to feel secure. You hear the saying with Kulhis, 'The more hiding spots you give, the more you see them'. I have found that to be the case.

I also feed them right before I turn out the lights, so they get very active in the late evening.

aussieJJDude
Flash lighting fish in the dark is not nice...

I only have 2 as well. The bigger one comes out more than the smaller one. When I do water changes and clean the gravel I look around for the other one.
Its not going to kill them... and if you have control over your body/limbs, you certainly don't have the shine the light directly on them...

Smh

Crazycoryfishlady
I had 4, now I'm down to one.

For the first week I thought I had none, since the bodies would sometimes float out to the fromt when they died, or sometimes take a few days.

3 days isn't very long to get used to a tank, if I had just been shipped and thrown in a tank, I wouldn't want to see the giant who feeds me either for a few days.
Your best bet is to watch them on a cloudy day or in the dark.

You don't even really have to shine a light in the tank, just have one near it if you see long wiggly movement.
Mine comes out during the day sometimes, he'll just throw his body around the walls for a few minutes then go back to hiding.

It's not that you have too few or anything, they just haven't had time to settle in.
You won't always know they are getting food, they don't always come out to eat.
You just have to hope there are enough scraps for them, or over feed just a little of a certain type of food the others can't consume right away, like a pellet or something.

I get pellets far larger than my fishes mouth, this causes them to have to work for it and spread pieces around for the smaller life in the tank.

Piscesorkillerwhale
Its not going to kill them... and if you have control over your body/limbs, you certainly don't have the shine the light directly on them...

Smh
I didnt say it would kill them I said it is not nice.

aussieJJDude
I didnt say it would kill them I said it is not nice.
Yeah, but its certainly not going to hurt them. it's how they collect them in the wild anyway.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question