How can I keep my nerite happy?

Zephyrski

Hi everyone. I'm just curious as to how I can keep my nerite happy and healthy. He's just currently hiding under a swim through, but was exploring earlier.

Is there anything I should get for food? I just got two moss balls with a bunch of algae on them, but should I try to grow some more?
Speaking of the moss balls, should I try to lower them so the snail can get to them?

bcsay720

If you're worried about lack of food, you can always get algae wafers. Once your glass starts dirtying up, though, there will be plenty of food. I never touch the back wall of my tank so my nerite can feed on it. Additionally, they eat diatoms and other microorganisms in the tank. You can try blanching some types of veggies like spinach or cucumber and adding small amounts for it to snack on.

richiep

I agree with bcsay720 and looking at your tank id say there's not enough food on the glass to sustain a snail so you need to supplement

BradleyH2O

In addition to what bcsay720 suggested, I would only leave the veggies in there for no more than 18-24 hours, as they tend to start breaking down and can mold or spike ammonia in some cases

You know, something else I just thought of...snails have a pretty unique sleeping pattern, where they’ll sleep for a few days, followed by a couple days of work. Mine will just go dormant for days at a time.

Zephyrski

I'll be sure to pick up some alage wafers and some veggies next time I'm out thanks everyone :)

Sobhan

Best way to keep them happy is not to do anything and leave them be. They eat everything and all types of algae and your tank looks new just wait for a week or so and he will start munching on surfaces of all the hardscape. Don't freak out when you don't see them for a couple of days or even weeks, that happens , they come out eventually.

Zephyrski

Best way to keep them happy is not to do anything and leave them be. They eat everything and all types of algae and your tank looks new just wait for a week or so and he will start munching on surfaces of all the hardscape. Don't freak out when you don't see them for a couple of days or even weeks, that happens , they come out eventually.
Ah okay. I'll keep that in mind

Zephyrski

Does anyone happen to know what this is on the snails shell? Not the white dot in the center that's been there, but the white specs towards the back?
You must be registered to see images

richiep

If it something on the shell then it will wipe off,
Or, its chipped from a fall just like the end point.

Blacksheep1

I add some boiled, crushed egg shells in my tank from time to time to make sure there’s no shell issues. I’m sure I saw a post on here for home made snail food , try a search for it. And if you find lots of little white eggs laid on your glass and plants , don’t worry, They won’t hatch !!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Andrew3402
Replies
Views
Handelma
Replies
Views
Iverg1
  • Question
Replies